• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New IR35 Guidance hot off the presses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
    Seriously, how many of their 40% of IT contract staff are going to be "senior" enough to: ...
    I think that is the case for a LOT of contractors out there...
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
      I think that is the case for a LOT of contractors out there...
      In my 12 years experience, this is not the case. We may well influence some technology decisions which end up being adopted or manage a project outsourcing the support desk, but that's hardly controlling and directing the activities of the organisation (as a whole).

The Student Loans guy was a clear example. He could be said to be generally steering the ship. Me recommending software package A over software package B would hardly equate.

Comment

I think it just all depends on how woolly the definitions end up being - if past history is anything to go by they should be as clear as mud
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          I do believe there could be a crack down.

This happened in Germany. For years nothing much happened on disguised employment and then suddenly they got serious. I think most freelancers had to deal with it. Not to say that you all get caught but you may have to think about it seriously.

That's why I think it would be very wise indeed to looks at your working practices and get them sorted out.

We'll wait and see...could be a damp squib of course, but I would certainly have the antenna out.

The following makes sobering reading

HMRC

Emphasises that HMRC are ramping this up seriously.
          Interesting. In current client, anyone who doesnt have PCG insurance coverage or similar is just mad.

I've got standard PCG but considering upgrading to Plus to avoid all the hassle if it comes my way.
          Last edited by psychocandy; 30 May 2012, 15:11. Reason: yes you can upgrade part way
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Interesting. In current client, anyone who doesnt have PCG insurance coverage or similar is just mad.

I've got standard PCG but considering upgrading to Plus to avoid all the hassle if it comes my way.
            Could be worth it bearing in mind you start worrying just because the client sends you an email
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We don't know how this is going to pan out. But the enquiry letters will be darkening the door mats fairly soon. In other words wait 6 months and keep a close eye on the PCG website for news. Either there will be alarm bells ringing as the PCG is inundated with claims or it's business as usual, i.e. there ramping up means they investigate 30 contractors a year instead of 15.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
              X