• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat rate V.A.T and buying goods from business websites with 0 VAT prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat rate V.A.T and buying goods from business websites with 0 VAT prices

I've tried searching but vat is too short apparantly.
    Can anyone advise if I'm allowed to purchase equipment without paying VAT, if I'm already im the flat rate scheme?

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    Can anyone advise if I'm allowed to purchase equipment without paying VAT, if I'm already im the flat rate scheme?
    1. Does the receipt have a VAT number? If so, the chances are the price already includes VAT.

2. If the receipt doesn't have a VAT number, you don't pay any additional VAT.

Either way, as long as it is an allowable expense (The wholey Business Use test), you can claim it.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Thanks, I'm looking at E-Buyers business site and all prices exclude VAT.

Everything is wholly and necessarily in order for me to do a project I'm a good boy.

Comment

Everything is wholly and necessarily in order for me to do a project I'm a good boy.
        Technet attracts 0% VAT, and is an allowable expense. Just remember to include your business name when purchasing the goods.... like a good boy would do.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Doesn't matter how the prices are quoted "inc. VAT" or "ex. VAT" (expect it to be added on at the end for ex VAT). Pretty obvious really so maybe I misread the question.

If on the FRS you can only reclaim VAT for capital assets >£2k. "package deals", e.g. laptop + printer on the same invoice are ok. HM Revenue & Customs: Flat Rate Scheme for VAT

Fwiw, I can't imagine spending £2k on a laptop when last year's ex-corporate model can be had refurbed for a tenth of that. YMMV.
          Last edited by Contreras; 6 May 2012, 00:03. Reason: add link

Comment

If you have a look on the Welcome/FAQ's section there is a guide there showing noobs how to do a search.

It is here so you don't get lost finding it.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

It is also the same style I use when linking searches in to threads you also often post on.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
              Doesn't matter how the prices are quoted "inc. VAT" or "ex. VAT" (expect it to be added on at the end for ex VAT). Pretty obvious really so maybe I misread the question.

If on the FRS you can only reclaim VAT for capital assets >£2k. "package deals", e.g. laptop + printer on the same invoice are ok. HM Revenue & Customs: Flat Rate Scheme for VAT

Fwiw, I can't imagine spending £2k on a laptop when last year's ex-corporate model can be had refurbed for a tenth of that. YMMV.
              I think it is the case that the company in question doesn't charge VAT, therefore the >£2k rule doesn't apply, unless a VAT number is provided.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It is also the same style I use when linking searches in to threads you also often post on.
                I suppose in an ideal world you'd be the only person posting here then, since you seem intent on debunking "threads I often post on" - and seriously, you use a search to search for threads you can tell people to search in?

Are you on a cut from google or something? :suspiciousemoticon:
                Last edited by Scoobos; 6 May 2012, 12:17.

Comment

I suppose in an ideal world you'd be the only person posting here then, since you seem intent on debunking "threads I often post on" - and seriously, you use a search to search for threads you can tell people to search in?

The point NorthernLadUK was making is the questions you ask have already been answered on this forum or the answers can easily be found by doing a search on a well-known search engines.

Anyway to answer your question again as Contreras has already answered it - e-Buyer like many UK online retailers advertise their prices to UK businesses* without VAT included.

They then charge you VAT on the item/service and any delivery costs at check out.

They provide you with an online VAT invoice which is normally an email, or in some cases a separate pdf sent by email, and it's up to you to claim the VAT back from HMRC on your VAT return.

If you are on the flat rate scheme then the fact that you will make little purchases like this has already been considered in the scheme for so you cannot claim the VAT back.

However if you are making lots of stock/material purchases like this then you shouldn't be on the flat rate VAT scheme. Have a look at the HMRC VAT pages for more information about how to change schemes, and if you are stuck phone the VAT helpline. The people at the end of it don't bite.

*A few of them refuse to deal with non-UK businesses.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Put some effort in to them instead of asking lazy questions and I wouldn't have to.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X