• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business costs

Busy today ...

Here's my list of cost categories my plan B will incur:

Salary
    Bank fees
    Accountant fees
    Bookkeeping fees
    Web hosting
    Mail\calendar\contacts service
    Expenses
    Insurance
    Stationery
    Virtual office

Any care to contribute some others?
    Thanks.

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Busy today ...

Here's my list of cost categories my plan B will incur:

Salary
    Bank fees
    Accountant fees
    Bookkeeping fees
    Web hosting
    Mail\calendar\contacts service
    Expenses
    Insurance
    Stationery
    Virtual office

Any care to contribute some others?
    Thanks.
    Well being pedantic, everything you have listed is expenses so you don't actually need a line for expenses.

Comment

Had any thoughts about doing this yourself rather than asking us?

Are you going to be capable of actually running this business?

How about going to speak to someone at the bank who can give you some resources instead of guessing it?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
        Well being pedantic, everything you have listed is expenses so you don't actually need a line for expenses.
        Please, you'll need to explain why he doesn't have to list sundry expenses???
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Had any thoughts about doing this yourself rather than asking us?
          Sorry, for a moment I thought I'd put that list together myself (along with researching the costs this morning). Someone's hacked my account and inserted that list.

Was just asking if I'd missed anything off.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
            These are itemized in a spreadsheet, with costs associated. The expenses line is a generic thing to cover travel, entertainment, etc.

Comment

These are itemized in a spreadsheet, with costs associated. The expenses line is a generic thing to cover travel, entertainment, etc.
              You've probably got it pretty much covered. But what about Rent, Rates, Heat, Light, Legal, Profession Bodies, Advertising, Hardware, Software.

You seem to be sort of going at backwards. Essentially everything you spend is cost of sales. So rather than worry about how you are going to categorise what you spend think about the process from procurement to final sale and the hands it will go through and everything else you need to spend to deliver the product to market.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                You seem to be sort of going at backwards. Essentially everything you spend is cost of sales. So rather than worry about how you are going to categorise what you spend think about the process from procurement to final sale and the hands it will go through and everything else you need to spend to deliver the product to market.
                The situation we're in is that a company wants to give us business, but at this stage will not confirm exactly how much they will give us. They've asked for a figure of what we need to make in order for it to be viable for us. Then they'll advise if they can push enough business our way, year 1.

In parallel, we're also doing a forecast of how much we believe we can do year 1.

Comment

The situation we're in is that a company wants to give us business, but at this stage will not confirm exactly how much they will give us. They've asked for a figure of what we need to make in order for it to be viable for us. Then they'll advise if they can push enough business our way, year 1.

In parallel, we're also doing a forecast of how much we believe we can do year 1.
                  I understand that. The problem is we can't know what your new venture will need to spend on in order for it to viable. Sure we can tell you the kind of things that are specific to our own businesses, but they are not your new venture. Sure, there are some standard things, which you may be spending on to a lesser or greater degree, and I'll cover them again. But anything beyond that is specific to your business. So here is my list:

Salary
                  Bank
                  Accountant
                  Web
                  Mail
                  Travel
                  Accommodation
                  Subsistence
                  Entertainment
                  Legal
                  Advertising
                  Insurance
                  Stationery
                  Postage
                  Conferencing
                  Phone
                  Heat
                  Light
                  Rent
                  Rates
                  Secretarial
                  Professional Bodies
                  Hardware
                  Software
                  Bought in product

Comment

The cost of free advice you got from an internet forum.
                    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Working...
                    X