• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head out of the sand

Hi All,

After years of putting my head in the sand, I guess I better really look at whats due.

Is there an "easy" way for someone that has not been receiving mail from HMRC to check what is outstanding online? Im a little unsure where to start.

Not giving up yet!

Comment

2015 Finance Bill

Noted this yesterday, and wondered if anyone else was aware of this?

Tax Administration
      Closing elements of tax enquiries
      HMRC is proposing changing the rules for closing tax enquiries into complex cases, such that certain issues can be formally resolved without closing the whole enquiry. A case has been put forward that the proposed powers are one-sided as the taxpayer would not be permitted to ask the tax tribunal to list particular aspects of the enquiry for hearing. Responses can be made by email or in writing before 2pm on 12 March 2015.

HMRC penalties
      This discussion document is asking for views on the design and implementation of the whole range of HMRC penalties. The review is deemed to be necessary because more penalties are being applied automatically which may not affect taxpayer’s behaviour as HMRC desire. Jennifer Adams suggests this may herald mean the demise of the £100 penalty. Comments are invited by email or letter before midday on 11 May 2015.
      Serial avoidance sanctions
      The Government wants to increase the penalties associated with “serial tax avoidance” although the existing laws to tackle this problem have not bedded in yet, as Rebecca Cave explained. Responses to these proposals need to reach HMRC by 5pm on 12 March 2015, either by email or post

Group relief and APNs
      Accelerated payment notices (APNs) can be issued to companies as well as to individuals. Where a group company has made a loss as a result of a tax scheme it may well surrender that loss to another company in the group. Provisions in Finance Bill 2015 will allow HMRC to issue an APN to the company that used the tax scheme to prevent it from surrendering the loss as group relief. This change will come into effect when Finance Bill 2015 receives Royal Assent.

Comment

as far as i remember - to start the on line ball rolling you have to get a login number through the post first !!!! and if i rememeber rightly it takes 14 to 28 days to arrive

but i could be wrong

Originally posted by Clownfish View Post
        Hi All,

After years of putting my head in the sand, I guess I better really look at whats due.

Is there an "easy" way for someone that has not been receiving mail from HMRC to check what is outstanding online? Im a little unsure where to start.

Not giving up yet!

Comment

Originally posted by elpinar View Post
          so discovery is their get out of jail card for when they missed the boat
          Correct. Whether the use of discovery is valid, or not, is another matter. Montpelier said they are going to test this at an FTT.

Comment

Thanks, in that case, if I call HMRC, I assume they will be able to advise on the balance owing.. or is that not as straightforward as I think?

Originally posted by elpinar View Post
            as far as i remember - to start the on line ball rolling you have to get a login number through the post first !!!! and if i rememeber rightly it takes 14 to 28 days to arrive

but i could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              Correct. Whether the use of discovery is valid, or not, is another matter. Montpelier said they are going to test this at an FTT.
              I dropped a quick email to DB at Montpelier last week and there should be an update on this soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Clownfish View Post
                Thanks, in that case, if I call HMRC, I assume they will be able to advise on the balance owing.. or is that not as straightforward as I think?
                just register for HMRC online, you can then look at all your tax years and amounts suspended pending appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by BettySwollocks View Post
                  I dropped a quick email to DB at Montpelier last week and there should be an update on this soon...
                  This 'discovery' thing doesnt affect me but, you'd expect it to only be allowed where a tax payer(!) has hidden some relevant information or, not declared something on their tax return. To me, 'discovery, does not mean hmrc missed something, were negligent or were late and outside prescribed time limits.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    This 'discovery' thing doesnt affect me but, you'd expect it to only be allowed where a tax payer(!) has hidden some relevant information or, not declared something on their tax return. To me, 'discovery, does not mean hmrc missed something, were negligent or were late and outside prescribed time limits.
                    The courts have been giving HMRC a fair amount of leeway in terms of discovery.

Unless you put a DOTAS SRN on your return, it's a very grey area.

Comment

apn . yay

just received apn - it matches exactly with what is under dispute on hmrc online website - however a new line there says they may also include class 4 ni contributions which I've not heard mentioned before?

also I guess next step is to inform db at montpelier?

(fyi between receiving my advanced notice and the actual apn was almost exactly 2 weeks) - money now due june 8th :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X