• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More people have joined NTRT this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      More people have joined NTRT this morning.
      Message to HMRC. Please send out more letters!!!

Comment

Everyone should join NTRT

The CEO of Montpelier has his own problems, so I wouldn't count on them to save us.

Merseyside accountant accused of £1m charity con - Liverpool Echo

"Gittins, a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, is said to be the mastermind of the alleged fraud."

At some point, we may be on our own!
        Last edited by stonehenge; 24 October 2013, 13:41.

Comment

DPA response

Got a response to my DPA requests today, two letters advising me of the inquiry never received by me are miraculously at the top of the pile, the first is dated 4/10/07 which was before BN66 even, may have to ask for a forensic review of when files were created, or maybe HMRC really have a time machine. Thoughts on next steps?

Comment

HMRCs newsletter

A few comments have already been made about HMRCs newsletter but what I dont get is why they even sent it. It reads like they think everyone knows whats going on already and then all of a sudden come up with some crap about the wording of the DTA. I mean what on earth makes them think I have a clue what they are on about ?
            Nonetheless they then invite us/me to settle and gave contacts so I emailed them asking exactly what settlement they are offering.
            Does the undertone suggest there's a deal to be made ? If not then why the hell would I settle 100% of their claim when theres an FTT right ahead of us ?
            I'm just totally lost what they expect, what they're talking about and what objective they had in sending it - other than perhaps to maintain their claim that they've always told us to pay on account.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
              Perhaps most interesting of all is the open admission that under a literal interpretation of the law, the scheme could be judged to work. How does this sit with the wholly exceptional circumstances they claim for the use of retrospection? Is this the first time they have acknowledged that we actually do have a case, no matter how they have tried to undermine it?
              where/when did that admission happen ?

Comment

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
                where/when did that admission happen ?
                I don't have it in front of me, so may not have this exactly, but there was a line to the effect of

' [your tax planning] in order to succeed would require a very literal interpretation of the Act'

It's obviously not an out and admission, but I think that it's not unreasonable to interpret this as admitting we were within the letter of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
                  The CEO of Montpelier has his own problems, so I wouldn't count on them to save us.

Merseyside accountant accused of £1m charity con - Liverpool Echo

"Gittins, a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, is said to be the mastermind of the alleged fraud."

At some point, we may be on our own!
                  SH...

We are far from on our own, although we would like to see more people effected to join the NTRT campaign, there are still many people effected lurking in the background, the only way to beat the Oligarchical is to stick together.
                  MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
                    A few comments have already been made about HMRCs newsletter but what I dont get is why they even sent it. It reads like they think everyone knows whats going on already and then all of a sudden come up with some crap about the wording of the DTA. I mean what on earth makes them think I have a clue what they are on about ?
                    Nonetheless they then invite us/me to settle and gave contacts so I emailed them asking exactly what settlement they are offering.
                    Does the undertone suggest there's a deal to be made ? If not then why the hell would I settle 100% of their claim when theres an FTT right ahead of us ?
                    I'm just totally lost what they expect, what they're talking about and what objective they had in sending it - other than perhaps to maintain their claim that they've always told us to pay on account.
                    I suspect that's it and the rest is just filler.

They are probably covering their arses if it ends in lots of forced house sales, bankruptcies or worse.

Do let us know how they reply to your email.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                      Perhaps most interesting of all is the open admission that under a literal interpretation of the law, the scheme could be judged to work. How does this sit with the wholly exceptional circumstances they claim for the use of retrospection? Is this the first time they have acknowledged that we actually do have a case, no matter how they have tried to undermine it?
                      Haven't received letter yet but could someone post the wording of this 'literal' part up on the forum. Very intersted to see it . Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X