• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Corrian View Post
    I've just received the same letter. I'm now going to scan it and send it to the NTRT team to advise on our next move.
    Ditto - I've sent mine in too. I've also phoned by MP's constituency office to rebutt the claims in the HMRC letter; along the same lines as the Gauke letter received a month earlier. My MP is now awaiting a second response from Gauke. Gauke must be a busy man these days. I wonder when it will dawn on him that all this hassle really isn't worth it to save a few skins in HMRC?

Comment

Originally posted by normalbloke View Post
      Yep, that's me. The wheels are turning. I have been (and still am) in constant contact with Whitehouse and have sent off bespoke letters with all the salient facts to him and his office. Still waiting for replies. But it's in hand....
      Great work did you get a one to one? if so at least he will be getting our side of the story without the spin.
      MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Expected Response

Just received a letter in response to the toolkit. I initially wrote to my Tory MP and have seen him twice.

Extract

' Thank you for your further recent email regarding thi issue of retrospective tax. I am a firm in the belief that this is now an issue that cannot be solved with the individual influence of one Member of Parliament making representations to the Minister, but a matter for a Court of Law'

Disappointed but expected, I will be forwarding the whole letter to Whitehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by mrkitchen View Post
          Just received a letter in response to the toolkit. I initially wrote to my Tory MP and have seen him twice.

Extract

' Thank you for your further recent email regarding thi issue of retrospective tax. I am a firm in the belief that this is now an issue that cannot be solved with the individual influence of one Member of Parliament making representations to the Minister, but a matter for a Court of Law'

How can it be a matter for a Court of Law. Been there and done that!

Comment

Extract

He's missed the point - a court of law CANNOT deal with Parliament being misled. Have a look at document A005 and quote back the words from Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway Co v Wauchope (1842) .
            There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
              He's missed the point - a court of law CANNOT deal with Parliament being misled. Have a look at document A005 and quote back the words from Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway Co v Wauchope (1842) .
              Sorry, but I have seen him twice, sent him all the relevant information, he's got the point, however he's not interested ! The response I received from the TC was more encouraging and that's who I will focus on, the MP can afford to lose one vote, he clearly doesn't care about me, my family or our predicament.

Comment

Sorry, but I have seen him twice, sent him all the relevant information, he's got the point, however he's not interested ! The response I received from the TC was more encouraging and that's who I will focus on, the MP can afford to lose one vote, he clearly doesn't care about me, my family or our predicament.
                ... and thats what he wants you to do, he is trying to fob you off, this isn't going to be easy but you have to be persistant and show him that you and your family are not going to go away, he will eventually be made to pay and shamed, by all means carry on with the TC avenue also, but please please don't give in to your MP.
                MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
                  ... and thats what he wants you to do, he is trying to fob you off, this isn't going to be easy but you have to be persistant and show him that you and your family are not going to go away, he will eventually be made to pay and shamed, by all means carry on with the TC avenue also, but please please don't give in to your MP.
                  Not going away, not giving up, will continue to fight on all fronts until the end.

Comment

Are we now Spam?

Just sent an email to my MP (again) but rather than getting the usual auto response I got nothing. I wonder if we are now on some MP's block list?

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
                      Just sent an email to my MP (again) but rather than getting the usual auto response I got nothing. I wonder if we are now on some MP's block list?
                      probably just due to recess - i wrote to mine (again) a couple of weeks ago and haven't received anything

Comment

Working...
                      X