• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After being Gauked I sent the standard response to my MP. He's now replied say that I've raised a number of detailed points about the legislation and that he's referring the matter back to Gauke for consideration. So, time for a meeting I think.

Comment

Completion notices

Just to remind everyone, if you have received one of these and you haven't contacted me already please can you come forward.

Only a small number appear to have been issued and they were mainly in early 2006.

Thanks
      DR

donkeyrhubarb AT rocketmail.com

Comment

Backlog Brewing

It seems there are a lot of people out there with a point to make, not just ourselves ......................

Record number of taxpayers take HMRC to tribunal - Telegraph

Comment

Want to keep up the momentum

Now that i've had my "happy to help" reply from my MP following on from my face-to-face, what strategy are others adopting?

I don't want to keep bombarding him with documents and would rather just deliver the "killer" blow.

I get the impression something is brewing as it's gone very quiet here.
          Last edited by lucozade; 6 June 2012, 15:26.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
            Now that i've had my "happy to help" reply from my MP following on from my face-to-face, what strategy are others adopting?

I don't want to keep bombarding him with documents and would rather just deliver the "killer" blow.

I can assure you that whilst Parliament are in recess (until next week) and everyone has been taking advantage of the Jubilee break the NTRT team have been keeping right at it. I cannot spill the beans here and now but things are going on.

In terms of sending your MP the killer blow, there will be some new guidance on keeping them updated at appropriate points. In terms of keeping them "fresh" their cycle is longer than ours but it will be done when it needs to be. Our main short term focus is still to secure a meeting with Gauke and the Treasury team in Westminster.

There are still a large number of people who are on this forum and or who have joined NTRT who have either not contacted their MP or have not provided us/Whitehouse with an update on their meeting or letter responses. It is essential that anyone who has not contacted their MP to do so as soon as possible. All the tools for doing that are freely available and the time taken to do it is minimal.

Our first window of opportunity for change is through the current Committee stage of the Finance Bill. If you have an MP that is on that Committee or on the Treasury Select Committee please contact us now. These people have the influence to change things but we need enough of them to know about our plight so that when it gets discussed they realise they have a constituent that is affected.

PLEASE do it. We cannot do all of this without your help.

Thank you.
            Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
            "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post

I got my 2nd communique off to MP last week so am waiting for a reply. Curious to see if he Gaukes it or if we get a more personalised interpretation of events. So all quiet on the western front until that arrives.

In the meantime, I will be chasing up the 2 'sleeping' members I contacted - one successfully via LinedIn, to see how their letter writing is going.

Had a bizarre thought about a graffiti campaign - 'No 2 Retro'. A movement against retrospective tax or just buffont hair & bright clothing?

Comment

sorry may be i am slow.. what are we campaigning against? the link in the first thread says : "Various parties are challenging the retrospective element of Section 58 of the .. BN66."
                I dont care about BN66 but I would be really disturbed if there is a 'retrospective element' in tax system anywhere... Could you please tell the essense - what this element is exactly?

Comment

Basically it means that the Treasury have applied to recover taxes from a period when they 'intended' for certain legislation to apply rather than when it actually was applied
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by maxima View Post
                    sorry may be i am slow.. what are we campaigning against? the link in the first thread says : "Various parties are challenging the retrospective element of Section 58 of the .. BN66."
                    I dont care about BN66 but I would be really disturbed if there is a 'retrospective element' in tax system anywhere... Could you please tell the essense - what this element is exactly?
                    They "retrospectively clarified" some 1989 legislation. Its a bit like saying that the national speed limit is now 60mph and has been "retrospectively clarified" back to 1989. Then fining anyone who did 60-70mph in that time.

No-one here minds the loophole being closed. We object to it being done retrospectively. In particular, we object to HMRC lieing to parliament to get the retrospection passed.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      They "retrospectively clarified" some 1989 legislation. Its a bit like saying that the national speed limit is now 60mph and has been "retrospectively clarified" back to 1989. Then fining anyone who did 60-70mph in that time.

No-one here minds the loophole being closed. We object to it being done retrospectively. In particular, we object to HMRC lieing to parliament to get the retrospection passed.
                      There's also the complaint that HMRC sat on their hands for 7 years knowing full well what we were doing.

Here's an analogy...

HMRC knew you drove at 60 mph in 2001 and every successive year until 2008. There was nothing illegal about it at the time, but it was in a built-up area and they just didn't like the fact that you were driving too fast.

They pondered over it until 2008, realising nothing wrong had been done, until some bright spark, let's call him Mr BranMcFawlty decided it would be a good idea to retrospectively change the law and pretend to Parliament that they were in actual fact "clarifying" an existing 30mph law that applied to horse-drawn stage coaches.

So there you have it, the speed limit was 30mph all along, since 1989. But it obviously wasn't clear to you that a Ford Focus is in fact a type of stagecoach. and now if you don't mind, we'd like you to pay 7 years of speeding tickets with interest.
                      Last edited by SantaClaus; 7 June 2012, 12:41.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X