• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Hmmmm. Just seems strange from getting acknowledgements to every notification I've sent him that since he said 'this line wont get you any further,' 2 other notifications havent had an acknowledgement.
    Yeah, I have the same these days. I email direct questions to the MP and assistant (simple ones like "How long does it normally take for David Gauke to reply") and dont get any response. The only way I get an answer these days is by ringing the MPs office and speaking to his assistant. That said, the last time I did that I did find out the wheels are turning in the background... I just have to wait. I will be back in touch with his office if I dont hear anything in a week or so.
    http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Guttersnipe View Post
      Greg Clark MP's PA responded on 23rd May to confirm receipt of my rebuttal to the standard response forwarded from Gauke. This was in line with previous communications.
      So do we have a pattern emerging each MP falling into the following categories, those that will, those that won't, those that don't care & those that can't be ar$ed.

Is anyone keeping a record of how MP's are responding, it maybe useful later.
      MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Weekend Thought

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
        So do we have a pattern emerging each MP falling into the following categories, those that will, those that won't, those that don't care & those that can't be ar$ed.

Is anyone keeping a record of how MP's are responding, it maybe useful later.
        Trust me, NTRT are keeping a very close eye and account of everything that is being said done, or not as the case may be. This is no longer a disconnect effort of intent, it has real structure and I can tell you for sure it is well beyond just a bit of letter writing. It won't be a push over and I doubt that one well aimed 'punch' will deliver the just result. But we're in a better place than we had been before. Some of the background information off radar would have me concerned if I were in HMRC or an apathetic MP. It's a slow grind but we have more going for us than ever before. And I include MontP in that statement.

Remember where we started - MontP, DR and CUK. Without them we would be bankrupt, out of work or god knows what for the many. But like evolution, we have evolved and NTRT is now a strong force. You may not really appreciate all of it right now, but it is immense.

A combined might that is no longer a bunch of determined stragglers fighting for justice.

Have a good Jubillee weekend folks and remember, Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs is just that. Nobody signed off on them becoming a 'Sole Trader'.

Comment

Linked-In

Hi all,

We have a membership that is increasing every day and the campaign is in full swing, but there are still many people sitting on the fence doing nothing. I'm not sure what it will take to move their apathy, maybe the knock of bailiffs at the door or the final demand from the Revenue.

If anyone knows colleagues or friends who are still not members of our campaign, please take some time to persuade them to join, even if (as one member told me) it means writing a letter for them and getting them to sign it!

One great tool we have is Linked-In. When I look at my very small list of 50 connections, many of them individually have a few hundred connections each, and most of them are in IT or banking. When we add together everyone's connections, a high proportion of the people affected by Section 58 will be reachable via this social media.

If you do one thing this weekend, whilst watching Her Majesty in wellies and a raincoat , please put a message on Linked-In to all your connections, publicising the campaign website

Wishing you all a good Jubilee weekend.

Santa
          Last edited by SantaClaus; 1 June 2012, 19:25.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

what about

setting up a linked in group???

Comment

Originally posted by funjim View Post
              setting up a linked in group???
              Not a bad idea funjim. I'll look into it over the weekend.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

CN

Originally posted by VictorValiant View Post
                Please clarify - are these final notices issued as a result of the court ruling back in February or are these late arrival CNs for years gone by?
                It was a closure notice for 2007/2008.

Comment

Originally posted by freedomfighter View Post
                  It was a closure notice for 2007/2008.
                  Quite a lot of folks have been receiving 2007/8 closure notices recently, although I've no idea why it's taken HMRC so long to issue these.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    Quite a lot of folks have been receiving 2007/8 closure notices recently, although I've no idea why it's taken HMRC so long to issue these.
                    I was one of those who got a CN for 2007/8 recently.

In March 2009 I got a statement from HMRC which acknowledged my tax payments and said "You have nothing (further) to pay." (for 2007/8) My use of the MP scheme must have been ok then.

In November 2009 I got a letter saying that they were going to check my tax return for 2007/8 due to the 2008 Finance Bill. (So what stopped them doing that in March?!) I forwarded it to MP and then that was the last I heard from HMRC for 3 years. I guessed the delay was due to the ongoing court cases or incompetence or a bit of both. They are certainly incompetent. Last year we made a mistake in our VAT (I'm now trading with a ltd co) and had to write to HMRC and make an additional payment. They then kept on refunding the VAT. It took several letters, phone calls and payments to them before they stopped refunding the money.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

I'm one of those. It is quite detailed and the first of any correspondence I have received from HMRC's for that tax year. Incidentally this is the first CN i have received for any tax year but the previous tax years are currently suspended on appeal. They also still show incorrect amounts. Ill be on the phone to MTM first thing wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                      X