• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great start to the weekend

APN on the doormat this morning.....

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
      Looks like several Montpelier users received them this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Looks like several Montpelier users received them this morning.
        Got mine too (de graaf)

I was only in one or 2 years, this applies to 2007 - 2008

it doesn't ask for interest though? just says pay the alleged tax by 1st june...... what happens to the interest in that case?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by xantamisch View Post
          what happens to the interest in that case?
          The interest only becomes payable if your appeal is lost. Currently our appeals are contingent on the Huitson case.

Comment

Out of time ..

Originally posted by eek View Post
            I would have thought that 2004-5 is out of time as well... Tax return would be Jan 2006, the last date for notification would be Jan 2007...

based on UK Personal Tax Return and a Section 9A Enquiry Letter
            Thanks eek - Sorry to be pain, but for clarity, what is the exact timeframe HMRC have to raise enquiry after SA is submitted, your response implies 12 month _ I couldn't see that stated on the Kinsella Tax site. If it is case, why would MTM not have already advised HMRC of this basic fact, they have had copies of all letters I received ??

Cheers

Mad

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog View Post
              Thanks eek - Sorry to be pain, but for clarity, what is the exact timeframe HMRC have to raise enquiry after SA is submitted, your response implies 12 month _ I couldn't see that stated on the Kinsella Tax site. If it is case, why would MTM not have already advised HMRC of this basic fact, they have had copies of all letters I received ??

Cheers

Mad
              Time limits are not as simple as you might think or hope.

HMRC has 12 months from the tax return filing date to issue an enquiry notice. That would normally be before 31st January in the 2nd year after the tax year. For example 2005/06 has a filing date of 31/1/07 and and enquiry date of 31/1/08.

Where the return is late, HMRC has 18 months from the actual date of filing to open an enquiry.

Where an enquiry notice (section 9A TMA 1970 or less often section 12AC TMA 1970) is issued, then HMRC has no obligation to move things forward. Short of forcing a closure notice from HMRC - which might take close on 2 years - the timetable is in the hands of HMRC.

If you do get a closure notice, it can be appealed and the litigation process kicks in.

If HMRC has missed the deadline, then they can claim "discovery" and issue an assessment up to 4 years after the year end. therefore a 2005/06 year can get a discovery assessment before 5/4/10.

If HMRC claim that you were negligent (or worse) then they argue that this gives them 6 years post year end. That has yet to be tested.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
                When did you get your APN warning notice?

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
                  When did you get your APN warning notice?
                  for me warning was dated 19th, notification 26th

Comment

APN Warning Letter

I have been out all day today but on my return this evening I found a ticking time-bomb on my door mat.

A well known government sponsored terror organisation has claimed responsibility and tell me they have implemented a 1 to 8 week fuse which has already been lit and may go off at any time!

The years in question are y/e 05, 06 & 07.

I was with MP from 2002 to 2006 so it looks like they have omitted the pre-DOTAS years.

What I find most repugnant is the 5% fines on late payments of a fictitious debt. It's simply unacceptable racketeering. Was this legislation really put through by real humans? It's just unbelievable.

I have no way of paying the APN so how can I then pay 5% more ... and then 5% more again a few months later and then 5% more a few months later ...

Hector, Guake, Osborne and Co - GET OFF MY PLANET, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
                      I have been out all day today but on my return this evening I found a ticking time-bomb on my door mat.

A well known government sponsored terror organisation has claimed responsibility and tell me they have implemented a 1 to 8 week fuse which has already been lit and may go off at any time!

The years in question are y/e 05, 06 & 07.

I was with MP from 2002 to 2006 so it looks like they have omitted the pre-DOTAS years.

What I find most repugnant is the 5% fines on late payments of a fictitious debt. It's simply unacceptable racketeering. Was this legislation really put through by real humans? It's just unbelievable.

I have no way of paying the APN so how can I then pay 5% more ... and then 5% more again a few months later and then 5% more a few months later ...

Hector, Guake, Osborne and Co - GET OFF MY PLANET, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE!!!
                      Thats pray MTM can pull something out of the bag and sort this nightmare out!
                      I too cannot pay.....

Comment

Working...
                      X