• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    I'll take your word for it that you always said that.

It is naive to think this was ever going to be quietly swept under the rug. If it hadn't been for the legal action (JR) undertaken by Montpelier, HMRC would have implemented S58 and enforced collection years ago.
    Don't pay no attention. Some people just like moaning.

Comment

Anyone remember those Aspect TV lot? Aren't they supposed to be doing a program at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Anyone remember those Aspect TV lot? Aren't they supposed to be doing a program at some point?
        Tiger Aspects - yup I remember.

I nearly committed to going in front of the camera but didn't want to risk it having two young children. I met one of them to discuss and he was a nice chap. Dealing with the researcher was also a pleasure.

I guess the story is still developing for them.

Comment

Originally posted by freeranger View Post
          Agreed. They opened an enquiry into me for 07/08 and then one day I got a letter saying they wanted a boat load of tax for 06/07...but they'd never opened an enquiry into that tax period...so I wrote to them explaining this and asking them to dismiss the 06/07 charge because I never had an enquiry notice...and they did

Sadly 07/08 is still open - got my pre-APN the other day
          Hi freeranger, my lackadaisical approach to filing and admin prevents me from getting overly excited, but can I ask did you write directly or via a solicitor?

Comment

Originally posted by Ooops View Post
            Hi freeranger, my lackadaisical approach to filing and admin prevents me from getting overly excited, but can I ask did you write directly or via a solicitor?
            Wrote to em directly. I'll see if I can dig out the letter at the weekend and PM you the wording. Bear in mind that I had no correspondence from them at all about 06/07 prior to them telling me they wanted a boat load more cash...your circumstance is slightly different it seems.

Comment

Wrote to em directly. I'll see if I can dig out the letter at the weekend and PM you the wording. Bear in mind that I had no correspondence from them at all about 06/07 prior to them telling me they wanted a boat load more cash...your circumstance is slightly different it seems.
              I think I need to write as well, don't seem to have official enquiry letters, any chance I could get a peek at the letter you sent?

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                I think I need to write as well, don't seem to have official enquiry letters, any chance I could get a peek at the letter you sent?

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece
                sure. it's not a magic bullet or anything, just something along the lines of "you never opened an enquiry, bugger off"

Comment

During the 70s and 80s many entertainers spent their time abusing. They hid in plain sight. Most of them didn't enjoy what they were doing. They just did it for the power. Now they are getting their just desserts.

HMRC - the writing is on the wall.

Comment

if you cant find the letters - can you write to them saying please send me copies of the enquiry opening ones for these years ? or does that give them a window of opportuinty as it were.

Perhaps a good apporach is for ALL OF US to send one letter for each year - saying - oi you - dont beleive you opened an enquiry ... that way they must either come up with proof they did or write it off ?

isnt that a win win in as much as you cant end up any worse off - but you could get a bonus win
                    thoughts -

sure. it's not a magic bullet or anything, just something along the lines of "you never opened an enquiry, bugger off"

Comment

Originally posted by elpinar View Post
                      if you cant find the letters - can you write to them saying please send me copies of the enquiry opening ones for these years ? or does that give them a window of opportuinty as it were.

Perhaps a good apporach is for ALL OF US to send one letter for each year - saying - oi you - dont beleive you opened an enquiry ... that way they must either come up with proof they did or write it off ?

isnt that a win win in as much as you cant end up any worse off - but you could get a bonus win
                      thoughts -
                      unfortunately i have letters for each year, did that check couple years back.

Comment

Working...
                      X