• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Then we disagree. How can this not be a communication issue? Do you seriously think sending a letter to some and not others would start a debate in itself?

And I havent for one minute suggested the content of this letter be discussed in the open.
    There is no need for us all to know, and given that at least one of us has been running to HMRC with whatever dropped into their lap from MP / NTRT, I'd prefer that nothing was circulated other than to those that it directly affects. I don't like not knowing either, but that's the price we pay for keeping tactics under cover. You said yourself that we shouldn't be showing our hand. For me it's about trust. If you trust MP and NTRT to have our best interests at heart, we have to accept there are things we won't be told, not because we have to be kept in the dark, but because HMRC have to be. I'm happy with that.

Comment

Because how do you know whether your circumstances meet or do not meet the circumstance of those who have? Can you be certain MP havent mistakenly missed you as having the relevant circumstances?
      Did you inform MP when HMRC opened enquiries into your tax years where you used the IOM DTA...? If you did, they will know. If you didn't and this angle of attack is successful then HMRC will know and you will get the same benefit - the only downside is that you won't know this until it's happened...

Good for you. But I think enough people have been left hanging on in the past without communication from them. If you are happy to be in the 'not received anything so Im happy' camp, I pleased for you. But Im not happy about coded messages being floated and generally being left out the loop.
      If you'd read my post properly, you would know I'm in the "received a letter" camp, not the "not received anything so I'm happy" camp...

Remember, you were one of those who didn't think a closed forum was a good idea - if we had one, the info could potentially have been shared...

Maybe the NTRT letter will include a mention about these letters...

Comment

Originally posted by BettySwollocks View Post
        Did you inform MP when HMRC opened enquiries into your tax years where you used the IOM DTA...? If you did, they will know. If you didn't and this angle of attack is successful then HMRC will know and you will get the same benefit - the only downside is that you won't know this until it's happened...
        ...oh, and if HMRC decided not to let you know if they'd lost, the whole action will become public once it's officially started and well before it's conclusion so at that point, you would also become aware of what's going on and still be in a position to benefit from it if it's successful and the circumstance is applicable to you...

Comment

just read the newsletter, very interesting. Thanks guys..

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
            There is no need for us all to know, and given that at least one of us has been running to HMRC with whatever dropped into their lap from MP / NTRT, I'd prefer that nothing was circulated other than to those that it directly affects. I don't like not knowing either, but that's the price we pay for keeping tactics under cover. You said yourself that we shouldn't be showing our hand. For me it's about trust. If you trust MP and NTRT to have our best interests at heart, we have to accept there are things we won't be told, not because we have to be kept in the dark, but because HMRC have to be. I'm happy with that.
            I am not happy. I would rather have known nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              just read the newsletter, very interesting. Thanks guys..
              Agree, very interesting.

Keep up the good work guys, we have got to keep reminding ourselves NTRT is our best option, IMHO it is our ONLY option.

Comment

Then we disagree. How can this not be a communication issue? Do you seriously think sending a letter to some and not others would start a debate in itself?

And I havent for one minute suggested the content of this letter be discussed in the open.
                Indeed we do disagree, this quite simply is not an issue with MP’s communication strategy, if members of this forum have chosen to debate the existence/content of the letter than that is a result of our own actions and nobody else’s.

Nor did I say you had wanted the content letter discussed in the open.

Comment

Originally posted by OneUnited View Post
                  Agree, very interesting.

Keep up the good work guys, we have got to keep reminding ourselves NTRT is our best option, IMHO it is our ONLY option.
                  8th September is the latest one on the website.

Comment

Newsletter 14th November 2014

Newsletter now uploaded to the members section of the NTRT website.

Best regards

Santa

P.S. Please check your junk email if you think you haven't received the letter. Thanks.
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I still can't believe the debate about the "letter" is still going on.

My letter said Private and Confidential and was addressed to me. I'm therefore not at liberty to specify the content. If you haven't got one then take it up with MP if you are feeling left out of the loop just to clear any worries you may have.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X