• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    So is £200 the minimum donation just for accessing site resources?

No offence, but that is extremely greedy and opportunistic. Just because this is promoted to contractors, doesn't mean we all see £200 the same way most would see £20.

Or people who are going through hardship and facing bankruptcy, then to expect a minimum amount of £200 just to give them a bit more information, wow. Words fail me.
    Have a read of the 1st post of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Have a read of the 1st post of this thread.
      Wim,

considering most of the people on here are up for 5-6 figure sums then 200 quid whilst albeit not an insignificant amount will be money exceptionally well spent for us if we can achieve something with this.

I like to think of it has been like a quid each way on a 50,000-1 shot, a long shot but less than the national lottery

So please refrain from the derogatory remarks, they are unwelcome and unbefitting towards DR given the time and effort that he and others have put into this campaign on our behalf over tha last 10years.

Comment

Well worth it!

So is £200 the minimum donation just for accessing site resources?

No offence, but that is extremely greedy and opportunistic. Just because this is promoted to contractors, doesn't mean we all see £200 the same way most would see £20.

Or people who are going through hardship and facing bankruptcy, then to expect a minimum amount of £200 just to give them a bit more information, wow. Words fail me.
        There is loads of good stuff highlighting the travesty that is 21 years retrospection with Section 58 and also useful resources without having to donate. It is a central repository to provide some focus for the campaign.

I don't contribute to a pension and haven't for a long time. I don't go on family holidays. I watch every penny, even though I earn a decent existence, accepting the risks of contracting, but £200+ is a drop in the ocean compared with what I now owe due to this unannounced, unaccepted by many at the time, got through under false information piece of legislation.

It provides the majority of visitors with a site for education on this heinous law change, how it came about, and for free!

My donation is as much about that as the extra info accessed and is well worth it!
        http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Lobbying Campaign Launch

A small group of us have been working behind the scenes to organise a formal lobbying campaign to get the retrospective element of S58 amended so it only applies from 12th March 2008 when Budget Note 66 was published.

We have created a campaign website.

No To Retrospective Taxation | Campaign Against Retrospective Tax Legislation

There is nothing more certain to motivate change than the increased pain of inaction. Impressively conceived and delightfully concise, I do not underestimate the effort. Your very good healths.

Comment

To put the £200 in perspective.

If your liability is £100,000, then this represents 0.2% (or 500:1)

HMRC are currently charging 3% interest which on £100,000 is £250/month.

I wish we didn't have to charge anything but lobbying companies like Whitehouse don't come cheap.

Comment

win121 - You should sign up - then you'd know who the words "greedy and opportunistic" really apply to.

There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Brown Envolopes

Morning chaps. Have any of you got idea why we haven't received any brown Envolopes from our friends in Liverpool as yet?

Comment

To put the £200 in perspective.

If your liability is £100,000, then this represents 0.2% (or 500:1)

HMRC are currently charging 3% interest which on £100,000 is £250/month.

I wish we didn't have to charge anything but lobbying companies like Whitehouse don't come cheap.

Indeed, this figure represents my exposure without the interest

I have invested more than the minimum and while still a drop in the ocean goes a long long positive way in making me feel a lot better about things and has given me fresh impetus to engage my MP who is doing a good impression of the scarlet pimpernel at the moment

My sincere thanks to all involved, it is much appreciated

Comment

Spread the word

Spent yesterday meeting with others impacted by S58, so far 10 of them are committed to signing up and making a donation!

Spread the word folks!

Comment

Dulakipper and Fireship,

Good on you both.

Thanks
                      DR

Comment

Working...
                      X