• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KAK123 View Post
    Absolutely. Monthly donations and toolkits...Whether NTRT ends up with a positive outcome or not the support and comfort gained from knowing this farce has been challenged in a very structured way is much appreciated.
    Well said. Just wish I could pay more. times are bloody hard for me (and many others), as just one example in 8 years I have had no rate increase, but hey I'm lucky to have a job right.

Comment

The full Montpelier letter

Our Tax Company have advised us as follows:

We have been carefully tracking the current Finance Bill for the so called accelerated payment notices ("APN") provisions and now believe that the provisions will be wholly or substantially enacted in the Finance Bill 2014

In essence, when law an APN can be given by HMRC in respect of any scheme notified to HMRC under the Disclosure of Tax Avoidance Scheme regulations ("DOTAS") or the general anti abuse rules. We do not believe that the latter applies to you but the former might. We say "might" because the DOTAS regime has evolved since 2004 and many transactions of clients pre date or are outwith DOTAS. The circumstances of each client would need to be separately considered if and when an APN is issued.

The current proposed APN provisions state that HMRC must give 90 days notice of due payment when issuing an APN. So the first APN's are expected in late July or August. This is sufficient time for you to seek advice from ourselves and/or your other advisers on the legality of an APN and how to respond but you will of course need to be conscious of your own cash flow. There is regrettably no independent appeal against an APN which we believe is wrong. We also believe that over 30,000 APNs are to be issued so clearly it will take some time

In our opinion it is wrong that the APN regime is retrospective and we understand that there may well be a Judicial Review challenge to its legality once the Finance Act is enacted. many of you will also be aware that we are still challenging the retrospective provisions of Section 58 Finance Act 2008 in both the UK and the European court concerning offshore partnerships.

If you have any questions please let us know. We will of coarse keep you fully informed of developments."

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        So we will only have follower notices applied, not APN's? I joined in 2001..
        Have you had your letter from MontP yet.

It's not much help but it does give their interpretation on it, they are at least still with us after a long absence!!!

Sorry Lucozade this post went up after yours

Comment

Didn't someone say were getting a NTRT update today too?

Comment

OK so the finance bill got Royal Assent yesterday, here we go!!!

Lords Hansard text for 17 July 2014 (pt 0002)

Comment

Could this be the current Governments IR35, a piece of legislation that almost from the outset is a complete and utter unworkable shambles
              Last edited by OneUnited; 18 July 2014, 11:03.

Comment

Originally posted by OneUnited View Post
                Could this be the current Governments IR35, a piece of legislation that almost from the outset is a complete and utter unworkable shambles
                I'd bet on that - if I had any money left.

Comment

deGraaf

Are there any deGraaf users out there who could shed some light on how the scheme actually operated?

If so, please PM me or send an email to:

info @ notoretrotax.org.uk

Many thanks
                  DR

Comment

Ditto for Steed and Sanzar

Only need to hear from DTA scheme users affected by BN66 (not EBT).

Comment

NTRT newsletter

Being sent out later today.

Comment

Working...
                      X