• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
    All you tweeters out there.

Get tweeting.

@insidepcg is asking for input from Freelancers. They are talking about issues #freelancers face.

Give them something to talk about.
    Well, BeenGauked has sent a few messages. Wonder if the PCG will take their blinkers off, or if this is just a cozy tea and biscuits in Parliament.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakleyacc View Post
      Thanks DonkeyRhubard !

I would really like the demand to be for the whole lot (Tax + interest + NI) in one go. I don't think I could cope with having to go down twice. To do that I guess I would have to cancel the appeal (+ postponement). On the other hand, I would like to delay the demand as long as possible to get better organised. So it's really a question of cancelling the appeal just before the APN comes out. Trouble is we wont know when that is.

I don't know whether cancelling the appeal after receiving the APN would have the effect of getting a new demand for the lot.

Thanks again

I'm in the same position. I'm in the process of closing down my limited company, - I stopped contracting in March. I intend to declare myself insolvent (I'm in Scotland), so as soon as I get a bill, I intend to drop my appeal so that I am liable for the entire amount. I have zero assets so it should be fairly straightforward. I intend to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau in the near future to talk through the logistics. I also intend to visit my bank to see what their position will be in terms of what banking facilities I can have going forward - I'm assuming overdraft facilities and credit cards will be withdrawn.

If I don't see a bill in the few months, I'm going to drop my appeal anyway and force the issue. One of the reasons for this is that it's my understanding that pensions are excluded from any insolvency/bankruptcy claims - mine are final salary anyway so quite difficult to unpick. However knowing how our friends the government operate it's only a matter of time before they change the law again to get their hands on this.

If anyone wants to message me with any ideas about this please do, I'm interested in other peoples' thoughts and I realise that it's not a subject for the open forum.

Comment

Originally posted by warlord View Post
        Labour never have, never will.
        Conversative always have, never will again.
        UKIP ONLY OPTION (can't see me voting Liberal)
        +1, hate Labour and almost hate tories more now, never thought Id say that.....UKIP for me, and Clegg is a D**k.

Comment

Timescales?

When are we likely to know if the MP Scheme will be hit with follower notices or APNs?

Furthermore for those of us that stuck by MP what is the likelihood of being double hit for EBTs?

I'm taking professional advice at the moment and hope to have something in place in case it all goes pear shaped. I can't bear the thought of my kids loosing their family home.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            +1, hate Labour and almost hate tories more now, never thought Id say that.....UKIP for me, and Clegg is a D**k.
            Normally I'd have no time for UKIP but my vote will be purely revenge on the others.

I've mentioned this before but if we really wanted to get back at Gauke & Co...

...mass donations to UKIP are the way to go.

Comment

When are we likely to know if the MP Scheme will be hit with follower notices or APNs?
              HMRC are supposed to publish a list of affected schemes before the Bill receives Royal Assent at the end of July.

Furthermore for those of us that stuck by MP what is the likelihood of being double hit for EBTs?
              The MP ebt scheme was not DOTAS registered so, in theory at least, it should not be affected. But HMRC may have other ideas.

Comment

Twitter

I unfortunately don't have access to twitter at work. If anyone else is planning to Twitter pcg then worth reiterating:

These schemes would not exist had it not been for the ridiculous, unworkable IR35

10000s Bankrupt by owm UK govmt retro law changes - it's unethical, undermines the rule of law and eliminates all certainty in Tax and law in the UK oh there's that word again - repugnant!

Not good for business - remember Vodafone and Osborne

Hypocritical - MPs exempt, Vodafone in India, expenses

Retro law changes seem to be the norm now - not 'wholly exceptional'

Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  Normally I'd have no time for UKIP but my vote will be purely revenge on the others.

I've mentioned this before but if we really wanted to get back at Gauke & Co...

...mass donations to UKIP are the way to go.
                  +1.
                  Revenge mode here too.
                  (And be sure to let your MP know why)
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                    I'm in the process of closing down my limited company.
                    I intend to declare myself insolvent (I'm in Scotland), so as soon as I get a bill, I intend to drop my appeal so that I am liable for the entire amount. I have zero assets so it should be fairly straightforward.

One of the reasons for this is that it's my understanding that pensions are excluded from any insolvency/bankruptcy claims - mine are final salary anyway so quite difficult to unpick.
                    Get professional advice - an IVA may be easier, dependent on your circumstances, even if there are no assets.
                    Dropping appeals against everything and going bankrupt is what many people will be forced into doing as then it only happens once.
                    Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
                    http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      HMRC are supposed to publish a list of affected schemes before the Bill receives Royal Assent at the end of July.

The MP ebt scheme was not DOTAS registered so, in theory at least, it should not be affected. But HMRC may have other ideas.
                      I would not be surprised if they do a retrospective DOTAS!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X