• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill to be further considered today.

New Clause 12 — Report on tax advantages arising from tax arrangements that are abusive: 1 Jul 2014: House of Commons debates - TheyWorkForYou

Comment

that was yesterday

Comment

This is the key part of the debate:

House of Commons Hansard Debates for 01 July 2014 (pt 0004)

1 July 2014 : Column 849 Sir Gerald Howarth

Comment

I am struggling a bit with what has occurred here. Does the nayes majority mean the clause goes straight through or gets dropped? Or something between?

Nigel mills said he would not vote for clause 12 so he is a nay sayer but so is David Gauke.

Maybe it has been a long week and my brain is not up to it :-s.
          http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
            I am struggling a bit with what has occurred here. Does the nayes majority mean the clause goes straight through or gets dropped? Or something between?

Nigel mills said he would not vote for clause 12 so he is a nay sayer but so is David Gauke.

Maybe it has been a long week and my brain is not up to it :-s.
            It looks like the Nayes majority means it won't get a second reading. The ayes wanted a second reading. Confirmed by my MP being an "aye".
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
              It looks like the Nayes majority means it won't get a second reading. The ayes wanted a second reading. Confirmed by my MP being an "aye".
              Thanks SC. But does that mean it gets dropped or sails through ?
              http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Sails through as I see it.

Comment

It sails through not unexpected though.

Other unrelated aspects of the bill will be discussed today.

At this point we are hoping that a JR will be launched by one of the other parties with deeper pockets than us!
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Well I'm confused as a number of others are. So the MPs voted 'No' to a second reading, according to the process (as I read it) this means it can't pass to comittee stage, but SantaClaus say that it just sails through.

I reckon a whole heap of MPs are equally confused by this whole process and voted the wrong way! It was said that one MP was voting against this bill but actually voted the same as Gauke - maybe he stood in the wrong line?

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                      It sails through not unexpected though.

Other unrelated aspects of the bill will be discussed today.

At this point we are hoping that a JR will be launched by one of the other parties with deeper pockets than us!
                      Do we know that this is definately happening then?

Comment

Working...
                      X