• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's another con trick as well.

They'd have the public believe that if they prevented £Xbn in tax avoidance this would result in £Xbn more for public spending.

What they conveniently overlook is that most of that £Xbn, in the hands of the taxpayer, gets spent in the economy generating direct and indirect taxes. Ie. they're already getting a big chunk of it.

It's all smoke and mirrors and looking for convenient scapegoats as to why they are slashing public spending and benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

They'd have the public believe that if they prevented £Xbn in tax avoidance this would result in £Xbn more for public spending.

What they conveniently overlook is that most of that £Xbn, in the hands of the taxpayer, gets spent in the economy generating direct and indirect taxes. Ie. they're already getting a big chunk of it.

It's all smoke and mirrors and looking for convenient scapegoats as to why they are slashing public spending and benefits.
      all the £xBN's they raise will go towards paying off the massive overdraft that was previously squandered on things the tax payer couldnt afford. So it isnt going towards schools, NHS etc as the government will try and convince Joe Public. Its probably going towards the previous Labour governments projects that failed, plus of course not forgetting MP's expense claims and duck houses, now isnt that a reason to bankrupt families!!!!

Comment

Would have thought their expenses and the military is where it goes not public spending.
        The big incompetent management consultants they hire to run (down) the NHS is another big spend - hiring their friends who evade tax as long as it's in one of the crowns' jurisdictions where it's okay to do so.
        Just goes to show how easy it is to pull the wool over the general public. Even now when I tell people this they don't beleive it - until it happens to them - they'll do nothing.

Comment

IR35 cause and affect

And they still can't get IR35 sorted, oh I wonder why thousands went into schemes

Furious peers pummel Osborne

Comment

Originally posted by freedomFighter2014 View Post
            If people leave without paying they won't be able to come back as
            they'll be arrested at the airport - right?
            HMRC officers will be waiting at Departures, not Arrivals.
            http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Dried up heir to a moist towlette empire

Don't forget - A large portion of the cash reaped in this exercise will go to providing housing and benefit for the people they bankrupt, who won't be contributing to the economy in any way whatsoever afterwards. So it'll actually cost the remainig taxpayer even more...
              (I say remaining because despite the PR and troll, we are all taxpayers.)

I just wanted to say big cheers to everyone who belted twitter during the parlaimentary review. I was twittering faster than my mobile could send the damned things, and I certainly had a field day bantering with a number of you. Curiously as the day ended a lot more people got onboard, so I'm hoping some are starting to get involved, albeit far too late.

Quick question - Anybody know if the Lords can actually adjust/omit sections of a bill? I know they can't block them, only delay them these days, but not sure if they have the right to adjust.
              If they do, I guess that's our next avenue...

Keep up the fight, there are lots of us out there on the knife edge!

Comment

Originally posted by freedomFighter2014 View Post
                Would have thought their expenses and the military is where it goes not public spending.
                The big incompetent management consultants they hire to run (down) the NHS is another big spend - hiring their friends who evade tax as long as it's in one of the crowns' jurisdictions where it's okay to do so.
                Just goes to show how easy it is to pull the wool over the general public. Even now when I tell people this they don't beleive it - until it happens to them - they'll do nothing.
                Yes, the whole "it's to build schools and roads and hospitals" rethoric is so laughably simplistic and childish, yet it always seems to work. With the general level of critical thinking going down rather than up, it's little surprise...

Still, it is our job to expose these lies in broad daylightm, cause no one else will do it (certainly not the lapdog "journalists"). Truth to politicians is like sunlight to Vampires.
                Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                  Yip well done sir.

I'm also talking with Tiger Productions and have met with the director to discuss my story.

I've received another call this morning from them to make sure I was still on board.

I MOST CERTAINLY AM!!
                  Careful with these TV types, guys.
                  Remember that THEY control the edit, and thus can make you look as ANYTHING they want in the end.
                  Tread very, very, very carefully.
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                    Careful with these TV types, guys.
                    Remember that THEY control the edit, and thus can make you look as ANYTHING they want in the end.
                    Tread very, very, very carefully.
                    Remember we are not talking about the issues. We are talking about the personal impact it has on us.

If anyone wanted to do a piece on the legislation with the media, I would advise getting the dirt on the interviewer first.

I remember Matt O'Connor from f4j interviewed by Fiona Bruce and being sandbagged "Why are there sexist men in your organization". He had not done his research - turns out FB had some drug coniction fron her early days. So MOC struggled instead of saying "we all make mistakes - look at what happened to you".

Anyway, IMO, we having nothing to lose now. We have had our arses kicked at every turn. Things cannot get any worse - the only way is up.

Comment

Travel Restrictions

Originally posted by MMSguru View Post
                      HMRC officers will be waiting at Departures, not Arrivals.
                      Seriously? 1984 - travel restrictions.

Comment

Working...
                      X