• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

b) my personal negative contribution will be small, but 65k or frankly even a few hundred, people ******* with you, even on an occasional basis could get unpleasant

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece

Comment

Anyone notice this on Ian Swales Twitter feed?

Minister confirms that accelerated payments will not be required for pre DOTAS schemes. HMRC will publish a list of the schemes involved

I may have missed any earlier discussion, it's been a busy day, so apologies if it isn't news.
      Last edited by OnYourBikeGB; 17 June 2014, 22:52.

Comment

Well done to all that took part in this exercise (and shame on those who didn't - you have NO excuse whatsoever)
        Actually I used to despise Twitter myself (did not have an account until a couple weeks ago) - but I understood it's a must when I saw the sheer number of politicians that are on it (practically all of them!)... It is easy to understand why when you think about it:most of these guys are textbook narcissists, and as such love to brag about any an all little "achievements" of theirs that they THINK might make them look good (it is btw shocking how uninteresting most of these feeds are).
        It's interesting for us, because it means direct access to people otherwise difficult to reach.

I believe the biggest worry of a politician is to see their public image tarnished, that is why they do NOT want inconvenient truths about things they do, did, or voted on discussed in the open. Twitter allows us to do just that!
        Politicians HATE when noise is made around an issue they are involved in, because they never know how things are gonna turn out if it gets too loud. That's the moment where you want to make the biggest rattle possible

From what I got of the debate, there seems to have been a distinct feel in the committee that people were actually WATCHING them, and would demand accountability. That was precisely the objective. It must remain clear that this new retro tax stunt is going to be a more difficult piece to implement than S.58.
        With that being said, we should of course not remain solely keyboard warriors, and there are other concrete initiatives being taken in the background. I would like to encourage everyone to be creative and to take matters in their own hands - there are many ways our cause can be defended.
        This fight is only starting!
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
          Anyone notice this on Ian Swales Twitter feed?

Minister confirms that accelerated payments will not be required for pre DOTAS schemes. HMRC will publish a list of the schemes involved

I may have missed any earlier discussion, it's been a busy day, so apologies if it isn't news.
          Yes, no groundbreaking information here (pre-DOTAS schemes were never meant to be subject to APN).
          I'm not sure what to make of this guy - he made a somewhat derogatory tweet labeling us all "tax avoiders", but then (when engaged actively) to his credit seemed curious about our "real life" cases (not sure if it was genuine curiosity - anyone mailed him and got a reply?).
          Anyway, it doesn't matter now.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
            Yes, no groundbreaking information here (pre-DOTAS schemes were never meant to be subject to APN).
            I'm not sure what to make of this guy - he made a somewhat derogatory tweet labeling us all "tax avoiders", but then (when engaged actively) to his credit seemed curious about our "real life" cases (not sure if it was genuine curiosity - anyone mailed him and got a reply?).
            Anyway, it doesn't matter now.
            I thought it was unclear as to whether or not S58ers would be affected by this, i.e. were any years post-2004 affected, were pre-2004 years included if they were. This would seem to be clarification that they aren't, which must come as a relief to some. Evidence of pressure working?

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
              I thought it was unclear as to whether or not S58ers would be affected by this, i.e. were any years post-2004 affected, were pre-2004 years included if they were. This would seem to be clarification that they aren't, which must come as a relief to some. Evidence of pressure working?
              Ah, I see. Wasn't fully aware of that.
              I would not read too much into this statement, though.

Comment

I have heard a whisper that S58 will not be affected by the accelerated payment legislation - is this correct?

Comment

ECtHR

Originally posted by MishiMoo View Post
                  That's exactly what I meant - once an APN has actually been issued, will that person stand any chance at all of getting heard at the ECHR then? That prospect would give me hope!
                  Before you can take a case to the ECtHR in Strasbourg, you need to exhaust all domestic remedies. That means taking a case (judicial review) to the High Court and appealing to the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. Also it can take 10 years to get a case to Strasbourg.

You need VERY deep pockets for this.

It's best to leave the legal action to the Consortium of promoters I mentioned yesterday.
                  Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 18 June 2014, 07:02.

Comment

Originally posted by the great escape View Post
                    Hi DR. Can you please explain the difference. Is it not implemented when an APN arrives through the door or is there some hurdle in between before that happens (or before I do a Reggie Perin and return under a new name)
                    I wouldn't be surprised if the Consortium try to seek an injunction to stop HMRC even sending out APNs.

As soon as APNs hit the street though there will be immediate Judicial Review applications, with pressure on HMRC to halt the process while it's under review.

We'll have to watch this space on this.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      I have heard a whisper that S58 will not be affected by the accelerated payment legislation - is this correct?
                      We won't know until HMRC publish the list of schemes affected in the next few weeks.

They shouldn't be able to issue APNs for pre-2004 use of the scheme.

Comment

Working...
                      X