• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro on SDLT

Agan another Retro!!

HMRC wins £160m SDLT avoidance case | Economia

Comment

Originally posted by Safe View Post
      yes but unlike us, these guys were told in 2012 a retro law going back to 2012 was to be implemented in June 2013. Massive difference, they were given advance notice the change was coming, we werent. If we had been told in 2001 a retro law was going to be applied sometime in 2008 going back to 2001 then I suspect nobody would have been using the scheme!!!! Thats the parallel....

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        yes but unlike us, these guys were told in 2012 a retro law going back to 2012 was to be implemented in June 2013. Massive difference, they were given advance notice the change was coming, we werent. If we had been told in 2001 a retro law was going to be applied sometime in 2008 going back to 2001 then I suspect nobody would have been using the scheme!!!! Thats the parallel....
        Yes, massive difference.
        But here again, I think they just wanted to test the waters for the concept of retrospective taxation...

Since there was no noticeable uproar, they considered they got the all clear for "full blown" (no warning, 10 years) and large scale (everyone on DOTAS and their dog) retro tax.

Rest assured that the Gov will brush away all criticism and explain to you it's all the same and there is no difference...
        Same way they're working so hard at removing the boundary between avoidance and evasion.

It s ALWAYS about criminalizing more and more behaviours in order to extort more and more money.

www.dotas-scandal.org
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Payment Plan

Would HMRC offer any time of payment plans?or do we have to pay all upfront ?

Comment

Originally posted by jimys View Post
            If the difference is getting nothing and getting something, with a genuine proposition they'll get paid in the latter case then I would imagine so. They just want your money all said and done.....everything else is BS

Comment

Originally posted by jimys View Post
              I believe APN (Accelerated Payment Notices) need to be paid within 90 days. That is because HMRC have told everyone you are rich tax avoiding scum rather than the truth which is that

1) many people were tricked into joining these schemes due to lack of knowledge
              2) you don't have the money as the savings weren't actually that great and you need to actually live....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                If we had been told in 2001 a retro law was going to be applied sometime in 2008 going back to 2001 then I suspect nobody would have been using the scheme!!!!
                Moreover we would have applied to the FTTT ourselves instead of agreeing to HMRC’s request to wait on the outcome of the four test cases.

It makes me so angry when I think of Parkers ruling in which he stated we could’ve gone to the FTTT anytime we liked, what a , he happily ignored HMRC’s duplicitous behaviour….

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
                  Moreover we would have applied to the FTTT ourselves instead of agreeing to HMRC’s request to wait on the outcome of the four test cases.

It makes me so angry when I think of Parkers ruling in which he stated we could’ve gone to the FTTT anytime we liked, what a , he happily ignored HMRC’s duplicitous behaviour….
                  In fact I seem to recall that when S58 was debated back in 2008 the minister in charge was asked whether there were any disputes/appeals in progress - she said that there weren't any!!!

I think that it was a bit rich of the judge saying that we could have applied to the FTTT ourselves after the letters we had got from HMRC linking our cases - as you said.

We know from now on that tax avoidance cases will be tried in the court of public opinion. This is precisely why we need to be a country governed by the word of the law. The law should be there precisely to protect people in our situation - that is unpopular causes.

I don't hold out much hope of us eventually prevailing but I'd love to see the look on Gauke's face if we do. Would they change the law again after a loss in the FTTT?

Comment

Originally posted by bananarepublic View Post
                    I think that it was a bit rich of the judge saying that we could have applied to the FTTT ourselves after the letters we had got from HMRC linking our cases - as you said.
                    MP tried to take it to the FTTT in 2007 - HMRC refused.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      I believe APN (Accelerated Payment Notices) need to be paid within 90 days. That is because HMRC have told everyone you are rich tax avoiding scum rather than the truth which is that

1) many people were tricked into joining these schemes due to lack of knowledge
                      2) you don't have the money as the savings weren't actually that great and you need to actually live....
                      Please dont scare people like this! Read the detail and you will see that this has already been asked and HMRC have confirmed for all genuine hardship cases they will use "all the tools" at their disposal including time to pay arrangements.

The 90 days and penalty regime exists for people that have the ability to pay but refuse or who do not come to a TTP arrangement. So my advice would be to get in touch with them as soon as the brown envelope arrives and plead your case.
                      Last edited by smalldog; 13 June 2014, 18:05.

Comment

Working...
                      X