• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitting on the fence

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    Like another member said a few weeks ago already, if this legislation does get passed, it will NOT be because of Gauke, Tories of LibDems - it will be because of people who knew, but had been complacent and didn't do their best to cause a rattle around this scandal.

Of course the end result is all not all up to us, but we should work AS IF it was.
    I fear that a large number of those concerned STILL do not fully comprehend what the personal consequences will be for them if this does become law.
    Divided, we'll ALL go down.
    I sent the online petition link (38 deg) to 100s of scheme users and only 16 replied......

It is really sad but most of the public is not keen to put the effort and hope that the fish will some how end up in their frying pan. It will be them who'll be in it soon....

There is a reason why other countries are better at a game which we invented.

Comment

Originally posted by tax is taxing View Post
      I sent the online petition link (38 deg) to 100s of scheme users and only 16 replied......

It is really sad but most of the public is not keen to put the effort and hope that the fish will some how end up in their frying pan. It will be them who'll be in it soon....

There is a reason why other countries are better at a game which we invented.
      I could also name a few countries where this kind of stunt by the government would induce instant riots...
      Certain principles are sacred.
      Yes, the apathy of some is very puzzling to me. Almost like a death wish. Very strange.
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Me I cant pay, my friends (and close ones) think I am a tax cheat and should burn in hell. Need I say anymore.
        Well HMRC come and take my house, my daughter went to bed crying tonight when I told her all about the mess her dad is in...I wish I had a time machine and could retrospectively not join the MTM scheme. This is all a bloody mess. HMRC ARE tulipE, conservative are tulipE, Labour even more so. Its all Labours fault.

Comment

Originally posted by warlord View Post
          Me I cant pay, my friends (and close ones) think I am a tax cheat and should burn in hell. Need I say anymore.
          Well HMRC come and take my house, my daughter went to bed crying tonight when I told her all about the mess her dad is in...I wish I had a time machine and could retrospectively not join the MTM scheme. This is all a bloody mess. HMRC ARE tulipE, conservative are tulipE, Labour even more so. Its all Labours fault.
          No matter what anyone says, worse has been done to us, than we have done to anyone else. It must have been very painful tonight, but nothing is set in stone yet, and even if we do lose, we don't know what conditions will be imposed, but there are limits on what they can do, especially if your only option is bankruptcy. Your friends are of course entitled to their opinions, but that opinion should be an informed one. Everyone here is informed, and bar the trolls, no-one thinks that. They didn't like us trying to play their game, it's reserved for the big businesses and those with connections, so they beat us down by breaking all the rules they are meant to defend and sold the lie to a brainwashed public who like scapegoats. I understand your friends point of view, we tried to get away with something that they can't. But they don't see a bigger picture of disappearing rights, and the lies behind the propaganda. We don't deserve to burn in hell, you and your daughter do not deserve what has been done to you. Your friends are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
            Most people were sitting around, hoping that somebody would fix the problem for them.
            Im working out the best way of going bankrupt.

Comment

Me I cant pay, my friends (and close ones) think I am a tax cheat and should burn in hell.
              You need to explain it better. I use the speed limit analogy. You are doing 25mph in a 30mph zone and caught on camera. Tomorrow speed limit changed to 20mph retrospectively. Most get that.

If things are that bad, why not go and handcuff yourself to Gauke, an MP or someone in the tax world?

So far at every step we have had our arses kicked. You can blame lack of tweeting if you like. 2 million people marched against Iraq and no-one gave a stuff.

Anyway, Im off to take my happy pills my psychiatrist gave me. See you later

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                I remember when Section 58 was almost passed and I said to the other NTRT guys, "I can't do much more for some victims, apart from write their emails for them and hit the send button".

Most people were sitting around, hoping that somebody would fix the problem for them.

And now we come to the APN legislation which will affect 43,000 people and approx only 10 people are firing off tweets. Yet this thread has been viewed over a million times.

2 days to go until the ink dries on Clause 192 of the Finance Bill. We need an army of victims bombarding Cameron, Gauke and others with tweets. Please don't bury your heads in the sand and expect a handful of people to make much of a difference.

Seriously, HMRC must be laughing at this.

* with apologies to the people who are making a tremendous effort.
                As an aging moron I've had to learn how to tweet specifically to vent my spleen about this online.
                I find it astonishing how little effort the majority appear to be putting in. I'm kinda hoping that there's somethign goign on behind the scenes because at this point it would appear people are sitting on their hands hoping it'll all just go away...

Comment

Originally posted by EveryMoveCalculated View Post
                  As an aging moron I've had to learn how to tweet specifically to vent my spleen about this online.
                  I find it astonishing how little effort the majority appear to be putting in. I'm kinda hoping that there's somethign goign on behind the scenes because at this point it would appear people are sitting on their hands hoping it'll all just go away...
                  I can only assume:-
                  Most can pay.
                  Most have given up.
                  Most cant be bothered to create a Twitter account.
                  Most want someone else to do the hard work (put their head above the safety of the trenches).
                  Most are scared of HMRC OR that their family/friends will see them as a tax cheat.....
                  Guys, get off Facebook and start tweeting.
                  Post on Linked-in.
                  See and write to your MP.

G

Comment

I can only assume:-
                    Most are scared of HMRC OR that their family/friends will see them as a tax cheat.....
                    i think that's a correct assumption, and the importance of the above should not be underestimated!

Astonishing how people insist to remain polite and ***compliant*** in the face of a machine who's simply out to shatter them and their offspring to bits.

www.dotas-scandal.org
                    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

It's called the silent majority - they all hope someone else will do something - or as my friends say in disbelief "they can't do that".
                      HMRC will do it whether it's right or wrong. If they get it wrong it's your bad luck - look in the press there are hundreds of examples. They will provide spurious figures to MPs who will believe them. The only way is to appeal to MPs sense of lawfulness and make the public aware. All a bit late now and this will be buried behind the world cup football news.
                      Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
                      http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                      X