• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
    Thank you for contacting me about the new rules for HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) that are being introduced in this year’s Finance Bill.

The Government understands that many people are worried about the payment of disputed tax due to their use of schemes either disclosed under DOTAS, or that have failed in another party’s litigation about the same or a similar scheme.

However, the Government is clear there is no inherent presumption that tax under dispute should sit with the taxpayer rather than the Exchequer. Under current law, there are a number of circumstances where the tax sits with the Exchequer while the liability is finalized. Therefore, it is clear these proposals do not introduce a new principle, but rather extend the range of circumstances where the tax sits with the Exchequer while the final liability is determined.

The legislation states that in the case of a follower notice, this will only be issued where the same or very similar tax avoidance scheme has been shown to fail in another party’s litigation case. As the consultation response document states, “HMRC will carefully consider whether a case is sufficiently similar to the scheme that has failed in litigation before issuing a scheme failure notice and decisions will be subject to a governance process”.

A taxpayer can then accept the judgement and settle the amount of tax due. Or, if they believe the case not to be relevant in their circumstances, they can tell HMRC why they think it is not relevant, but would then be subject to a penalty if they do not have a reasonable basis for their conclusion.

In addition, for all existing disclosures of schemes (i.e. those made before Royal Assent), HMRC is reviewing these in order to identify it is satisfied that no additional liability is due. I can assure you that an ‘accelerated payment notice’ would only be issued to tax avoidance schemes under DOTAS that are disputed by HMRC. It is not the case that all schemes under DOTAS will automatically be disputed by HMRC and so required to pay the disputed tax.

Finally, I want to assure you that these new powers will be fully scrutinized by Parliament as part of the Finance Bill.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me about this important issue.
    Did you try to meet him and this was the response? If so, I have a distinct feeling I'm going to be getting the same letter and my meeting request rebuffed.

As an elected representative, don't they have an obligation to meet with those that put them there? I think earlier posters are correct in that it's easy for them to send a standard letter, but not so easy for an MP to look you in the eye and say it's ok to bankrupt you even though the scheme you were on may prove to be sound.

Comment

UK => Totalitarian State

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      Our MPs are so good at scrutinising things, they let this one through unabated...

The Birth of a Police State: UK Police to be Granted Sweeping New Powers | Scriptonite Daily

Makes our grievances look like a tea party.
      I saw this on RT last year, and told people and they thought I was talking about a conspiracy theory and didn't believe it - the general public are too busy watching big brother (and other dribble that passes for entertainment these days) to know the real thing is being built around them. That's why the Govmt and the Robbers and crooks get away with so much - most of the public is sleep walking into a totalitarian state! 1984 was warning of a future that had already been planned.

Comment

Originally posted by dezze View Post
        Did you try to meet him and this was the response? If so, I have a distinct feeling I'm going to be getting the same letter and my meeting request rebuffed.

As an elected representative, don't they have an obligation to meet with those that put them there? I think earlier posters are correct in that it's easy for them to send a standard letter, but not so easy for an MP to look you in the eye and say it's ok to bankrupt you even though the scheme you were on may prove to be sound.
        That's the point we've been making on our website pretty much from the start ( https://www.dotas-scandal.org/the-im...eting-your-mp/).

This BS letter that everyone seems to be getting is a "delaying technique" if there ever was one - the only way to defeat that is with a face to face meeting.

www.dotas-scandal.org
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Laxmi View Post
          I saw this on RT last year, and told people and they thought I was talking about a conspiracy theory and didn't believe it - the general public are too busy watching big brother (and other dribble that passes for entertainment these days) to know the real thing is being built around them. That's why the Govmt and the Robbers and crooks get away with so much - most of the public is sleep walking into a totalitarian state! 1984 was warning of a future that had already been planned.
          Don't you love it when conspiracy theory becomes conspiracy FACT...
          (And barely anyone notices)

www.dotas-scandal.org
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Laxmi View Post
            So true Laxmi, and another reason why our education system is being run down. Without free thinking and intelligent people, the state will have completely control of our lives. We thought slavery had been abolished, but we are serfs and we don't even know it.

Here's a few people I watch who are into freedom of speech:

https://www.youtube.com/user/cveitch
            https://www.youtube.com/user/spiritualentertainer/

This guy may be labelled a conspiracy theorist, but a lot of what he says is true:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DAHBOO77
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

APN

Our MPs are so good at scrutinising things, they let this one through unabated...

The Birth of a Police State: UK Police to be Granted Sweeping New Powers | Scriptonite Daily

Makes our grievances look like a tea party.
              Thankfully this was rejected by the House Of Lords Jan 08, 2014.

Can the House of Lords reject a Finance Bill or parts thereof?

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                Don't you love it when conspiracy theory becomes conspiracy FACT...
                (And barely anyone notices)

www.dotas-scandal.org
                That's because it creeps up on us slowly. Nothing important happens overnight or is brought to our attention by huge Daily Mail headlines. In fact, the newspapers serve as a smokescreen to keep our minds occupied by trivia, as Laxmi alluded too.

Comment

Originally posted by OneUnited View Post
                  Thankfully this was rejected by the House Of Lords Jan 08, 2014.

Can the House of Lords reject a Finance Bill or parts thereof?
                  Thanks OneUnited, I didn't realise. Still scary that these bills get voted through by the Commons.

Not sure about the Finance Bill.

Comment

Thanks OneUnited, I didn't realise. Still scary that these bills get voted through by the Commons.

Not sure about the Finance Bill.
                    Its probably worth reading Parliament Act 1911 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia when you get a chance. That stopped the House of Lords from rejecting bills to just delaying them.

In the case of the Finance Bill the most that would happen if the House of Lords vote against the Bill would be to introduce a 1 month delay.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Is there a parliamentary body we can complain to that we are not being properly represented?

I don't find it acceptable for all our MPs to be rolling out a template reply. It shows there lack of interest and that they are only interested in their own careers and not safeguarding ours.

Comment

Working...
                      X