• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Nice one! Keep ploughing on.

Re: Eastenders. I think Dot Cotton got run over by a bus and Dirty Den came back as a ghost.
    That was the episode you saw last night. But after HMRC inviolvement the repeat will be very very different.....

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Whitehouse are making very good progress behind the scenes but they need us to keep up the pressure on MPs.

That means writing letters and meeting MPs.

If you haven't written yet, please can yo do so.

Just write a covering letter and enclose the Whitehouse briefing note.

http://notoretrotax.org.uk/public-do...ril%202012.pdf

In the letter, ask your MP to raise the matter with Exchequer Secretary David Gauke.

Thanks
      DR
      DR, do you want any letters from people who are not affected but believe it to be completely wrong and unjust?

Comment

Man with two brains?

Originally posted by patbikeruk View Post
        Just found this article on my MP's site.

A refreshing view on Tax avoidance

http://www.adamafriyie.org/Adam%20Af...20avoiders.pdf

Also this page
        Adam Afriyie for Windsor
        I can't believe it. Got my reply back from Mr Afriyie Wednesday and he 'Gauked it'. (DR - I will PM you the form this weekend).
        I expected a Gauking but I guess he wasn't expecting the NTRT inquisition (nobody expects the NTRT inquisition).

Somewhat gutted he didn't respond to any of the points directly. Then I read these links and a world of contradiction ensues.
        You wonder with such a position on tax avoidance, if he saw the response before it went out the door or whether one of his minions said 'don't worry about that Ads, got a response for that already, pop it in the post tonight for ya.' - job done.

Was inspired by his line 'politics of envy', given that I closed my letter with '...If we allow ‘fair share’ to be dictated by retrospective opinion and envy rather than its meaning as per the wording of the law then we open ourselves up to tyranny in our tax system".. Windsor/M4 corridor, loaded with IT&T workers - he's got to be pro-contractor. Whitehouse even hinted at this when I mentioned he was my MP.

So next a meeting. I'll be on the site this weekend getting tooled up for a face-to-face. Time to Bring the Rain to Windsor.

TGE

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          DR, do you want any letters from people who are not affected but believe it to be completely wrong and unjust?
          Sure, why not, the more the merrier.

Comment

Originally posted by the great escape View Post
            I can't believe it. Got my reply back from Mr Afriyie Wednesday and he 'Gauked it'. (DR - I will PM you the form this weekend).
            I expected a Gauking but I guess he wasn't expecting the NTRT inquisition (nobody expects the NTRT inquisition).

Somewhat gutted he didn't respond to any of the points directly. Then I read these links and a world of contradiction ensues.
            You wonder with such a position on tax avoidance, if he saw the response before it went out the door or whether one of his minions said 'don't worry about that Ads, got a response for that already, pop it in the post tonight for ya.' - job done.

Was inspired by his line 'politics of envy', given that I closed my letter with '...If we allow ‘fair share’ to be dictated by retrospective opinion and envy rather than its meaning as per the wording of the law then we open ourselves up to tyranny in our tax system".. Windsor/M4 corridor, loaded with IT&T workers - he's got to be pro-contractor. Whitehouse even hinted at this when I mentioned he was my MP.

So next a meeting. I'll be on the site this weekend getting tooled up for a face-to-face. Time to Bring the Rain to Windsor.

TGE
            I've just written to him so be interesting to see if I get the standard response. I will be mighty pissed if I do and be down the surgery to set him straight on a few points. Maybe we should all go together, is that allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by the great escape View Post
              Windsor/M4 corridor, loaded with IT&T workers - he's got to be pro-contractor. Whitehouse even hinted at this when I mentioned he was my MP.
              He owns an IT services company in London (I know since I used to be a contractor there...)

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                I've just written to him so be interesting to see if I get the standard response. I will be mighty pissed if I do and be down the surgery to set him straight on a few points. Maybe we should all go together, is that allowed?
                Had given that some thought. Be like storming the castle. It's a plane flight for me at the mo as on manouevers abroad currently. So not sure how easy that is to organise. However, group or individual meeting, it's seems now it's got to be done. Any views on a combined assault? Or is the pump action shotgun, one after the other, approach more effective?

Comment

I've come to like Fridays. Its Surgery Day.

That should mean that a load more of us are meeting with MPs. I am. I'm seeing Zac Goldsmith, together with another member of NTRT. The feedback from Whitehouse from their meetings is that we should not stop meeting MPs and should not then stop keeping them engaged on our case. The NTRT team will continue to provide materials to help that happen. There is a sense of real traction here - let's keep it.

It is hard to imagine any MP genuinely believing that retrospection is not an affront to the rule of law, whether it is tax or any other law. Principles of this nature transcend politics, and where it doesn't I would suggest that the MP either does not have all the facts or does not understand all the facts. However, at some point there would be a vote in the HoC if we succeed with getting an amendment tabled.

Apparently, there are only 5 countries in the world without a Constitution and of those with a Constitution 99% have banned retrospection. Where exactly does that place the UK?
                  Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                  "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    Sure, why not, the more the merrier.
                    I'll pen one when I get the opportunity next week.

Comment

Tell us if you write to your MP

Whether you join the website or not, we want to hear from you.

If you can't afford to make a donation send us a message via the website.

Contact Us | No To Retrospective Taxation

We are all in this together!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X