• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlg15333 View Post
    Not sure if this is a standard response or part of the procedure in these matters but I've received the following back from my MP:

Dear Mr. Bloggs,

I have heard from the Clerk to the Public Bill Committee that they would like to submit your email as evidence to the Committee after removing personal references. Officials would like to contact you direct for confirmation that you are happy with the amended text and for it to be submitted and published. Could you please, therefore, let me know that I may pass on your contact details to them.

Kind regards,
    Your MP

I have emailed Whitehouse and in the interim have agreed to have my contact details passed to them. See what happens next ...
    This sounds positive. I have a certain amount of sympathy for Helen7's fatalistic realism. For the sake of my own sanity, I have made myself accept that all the money I can raise, which fortunately is just enough to cover my bill, has already gone. However, I'm still more than up for the fight because this is wrong and should be stopped. There does seem to be considerable support. Even if they all roll over as before and vote down party lines, if there is enough noise, and the press who do seem to be starting to stick it to HMRC get involved, then they still have to publish their list of affected schemes. The more this comes to be seen as a vote loser, the more chance we have. Before some of our 'friends', the Nostradamuses of the Obvious, pop up to point out that hammering tax avoiders is a vote winner, I'd point to the recent headlines which show a definite anti-HMRC bias. A recent poll I read also said that Gary Barlow should not be stripped of his OBE (61% against) making me think that some of middle-England is beginning to think that enough is enough.

Well done jlg.
    Last edited by OnYourBikeGB; 5 June 2014, 11:16.

Comment

Waiting for confirmation of an appointment with my MP.

If you don't do it then you cannot say you tried.

Comment

282 signatures now.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...-retrospective

Keep sharing on Facebook, Twitter and via email everyone.

I intend to put this in front of my MP as some sort of poll for what it's worth.

Comment

282 signatures when 65000 are going to get affected! Where r the others?

Comment

Probing amendment

Time for another probing amendment to raise awareness??

Comment

Originally posted by varunksingh View Post
              282 signatures when 65000 are going to get affected! Where r the others?
              They probably have the same tax adviser as this chap...

Originally posted by BenDover View Post
              They did mention the APN and said that this could only be enforced where a successful case had been won by HMRC, they did admit that it may not be my individual case as it could be a person on the same structure running through the same company.

They seem very aware of the legislation at the time where I was operating through them and this was mentioned, it seems that although many other companies will not comply with it Horizon will.

Like I said, it is best to let the professionals handle this and not for us to come to any conclusions just yet.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Oh boy! BenDover and his mates will be in for a shock awakening soon if government passes this.

Comment

Oh boy! BenDover and his mates will be in for a shock awakening soon if government passes this.
                  Better head for the white cliffs now, BenDover or prepare to get an a** rimming.
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

JUst asked to be unbanned (I was carb loading for my triple when we lost our complauint against HMRC lying and I was in danger of posting what I think) so I am back to answer a few posts :-

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                    Must admit I'm thinking my only option to protect my family is suicide. I really don't want my 1 and 4 year old to be caught up in this mess. I'm starting to believe they will be better off without their alleged tax dodging father.
                    Been there, got the t-shirt, tablets and shrink. When I go down it will be fighting. Don't throw your life away like that.

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
                    This forum seems to be for people who want to bury heads in the sand and pretend that this will all go away because they don't like it.

What this forum ought to be is a place where people can get up to date information on legal developments and get realistic advice on how the law stands NOW (not how it stood before the HMRC time machine).

As much as we do not like it, they did make our arrangements taxable using retrospective changes. The courts deemed this legal and upheld it.

The fact of the matter is, we are very likely to receive demands for this money shortly and people need to be prepared to pay it.

It is because of arm chair lawyers on this forum that I stayed in the arrangement for so long. All very very reassuring that it was perfectly legal and retrospective changes were unheard of.

If you want to tweet something or climb up a building dressed as batman, be my guest.
                    How put you in charge of this forum? I agreed with you about certain distractions to the forum. But its about anything relevant and useful. You want help paying up or going bankrupt - see latest NTRT newsletter. Im going to fight. I suggest you MTFU(or WTFU).

Originally posted by Oakleyacc View Post
                    Understandably there is a growing interest in declaring bankruptcy on this forum as things looks as though they are being brought to a head prematurely by accelerated payments. I have also done a little research as I have no assets to lose, live in rented accommodation and I'm employed nowadays.

It seems that there is a sting in the tail when it comes to going bankrupt owing HMRC. It seems that the debt is not written off and HMRC have the right to 100% of your disposable income for 3 years following declaration of bankruptcy. Their definition of disposable income is brutal. To give you an idea, they don't even allow gym membership. If they do this, I would end up paying most of what they think I owe. However it seems that if I were to offer this as a repayment scheme, they would not accept it ! So I can't see any benefit in bankruptcy and that it might be better to avoid it if possible due to the downside.

I do hope that I have misunderstood !

Could someone who is better informed than me, please tell us if I have got it wrong. I do hope I have !
                    I am sure you are right. Luckily I don't have a penny and am sick of my job. 3 years on the dole with the state supporting my ex-wives and kids suits me fine.

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
                    Sorry if I have always sounded negative. But thus far I have been right. We lost every judicial review, finance bill review and the conservatives didn't support us as expected.

MTM quite happily spent our money on yachts (fact - the crew that ran out scheme were notorious within montp for always being out on the yacht) and have absolved themselves of any liability. They have continued to fight in court, but that is so they may recover loan payments.

The fact is they lied in the sales pitch as they were greedy and couldn't believe the scheme would run so long. To them it was of little consequence since latter users weren't on a loan agreement and they were creaming 10-15% with ZERO financial or legal risk. THEY CONNED US. they knew this would never stand up in court and continued.

Source of info - a friends wife worked for them in 2006-2009.
                    Your friend is not well informed - the money is in Barbados. But you are right - so far we have had our 4rses kicked. So what? I dont care - I will fight on.

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    Well said that man!

[angry mode on]

And if anyone has not yet seen their MP in person.... can I ask....

Why on earth not?

[angry mode off]

Normal apathetic and negative mode may now resume...
                    I don't believe it does any good. I am bracing myself for the real fight. Helen7 is right on one thing - we have had our 4rses kicked all over the park. Time to get our story in the public domain - it can't get any worse. When you realize I am right - you know where I am.

One final thought. Did Mr+Mrs Dover really have to name their son Ben? I suppose there's no chance its a fake name is there?

Comment

Yep they'll be bending over.

Comment

Working...
                      X