• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FredBasset View Post
    Another interesting revelation involving HMRC.

I found the last paragraph interesting.

BBC News - F1's Ecclestone avoided potential £1.2bn tax bill
    You're not wrong - we had no control over our trusts either :-)

Again this is farcical - the deal they have done has lost the Revenue may times the combined amounts they are hoping to get from us.

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
      You're not wrong - we had no control over our trusts either :-)

Again this is farcical - the deal they have done has lost the Revenue may times the combined amounts they are hoping to get from us.
      Its not farcical. HMRC know that he will spend a fortune on expensive lawyers, find appropriate loopholes and drive motorways through them. Being given £10m rather than fighting and losing an expensive court case up to the Supreme court probably seemed like a very good deal.

And that's the difference. He had the money (and savings and spare cash) to fight the claim to the end, others using different schemes do not and so make easy targets...
      Last edited by eek; 28 April 2014, 08:18.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by FredBasset View Post
        Another interesting revelation involving HMRC.

I found the last paragraph interesting.

BBC News - F1's Ecclestone avoided potential £1.2bn tax bill
        Unless I've made a mess of my calculations he basically paid back under 1% of what he could have potentially owed.

Ok, so if that is the case HMRC, please let me know where you would like me to send the cheque for £1000 to settle?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Its not farcical. HMRC know that he will spend a fortune on expensive lawyers, find appropriate loopholes and drive motorways through them. Being given £10m rather than fighting and losing an expensive court case up to the Supreme court probably seemed like a very good deal.

And that's the difference. He had the money (and savings and spare cash) to fight the claim to the end, others using different schemes do not and so make easy targets...
          and this is where the claim that HMRC win 80% of their cases when they litigate is flawed, they pick their fights carefully. As you say they retired from that particular fight, and in fact only win 4 out of 5 of the hand picked ones. This total B*llocks about them winning 80% infers its 80% of all cases, its smoke and mirrors to fool people, but is being quoted more and more as justification for paying in advance, i.e. its pretty much assured they would win the appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            and this is where the claim that HMRC win 80% of their cases when they litigate is flawed, they pick their fights carefully. As you say they retired from that particular fight, and in fact only win 4 out of 5 of the hand picked ones. This total B*llocks about them winning 80% infers its 80% of all cases, its smoke and mirrors to fool people, but is being quoted more and more as justification for paying in advance, i.e. its pretty much assured they would win the appeal.
            Which is the way everyone should be attacking them as it is on half statements like that the whole advanced payment proposition is based.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I suspect a significant proportion of the 65,000 backlog are ones they'd rather not take to court.

What they also fail to mention is that they have a Litigation & Settlement Strategy (LSS) which dictates that they only take cases to court where they have a good chance of success.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                I suspect a significant proportion of the 65,000 backlog are ones they'd rather not take to court.

What they also fail to mention is that they have a Litigation & Settlement Strategy (LSS) which dictates that they only take cases to court where they have a good chance of success.
                Which backlog? Is it the backlog to FTT tribunal?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Which backlog? Is it the backlog to FTT tribunal?
                  65,000 is the number of open cases involving marketed tax avoidance schemes.

Comment

Finance Bill Committee

Please see this link:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...gislation.html

Comment

Right to Recall MPs

The second half of this show is worth a watch where Mr Zac Goldsmith admits
                      that most MPs have not a clue what they are voting for and we should restore
                      Britian to a Democracy whereby we can recall errant MPs.
                      MPs do not even have to attend Parliment - obviously they will all attend
                      when their Pay is under debate however!

Episode 022 ? RT Sputnik

Comment

Working...
                      X