• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reply From HMRC.

Had the following from my MP:-

Dear Sir,
    Your Ref:
    Our Ref:
    Thank you for your letter dated 15 April 2014 enclosing correspondence from your constituent.
    We aim to send a substantive response by 14 May 2014.
    Yours faithfully
    HMRC MinCom Correspondence Team Manager | 2/72, 100 Parliament Street, London, SW1A 2BQ
    Tel: 03000 589 668
    For Data Security this email has a protect status unless a higher mark is shown

So, we'll see what turns up by the 14th. Forwarded to Whitehouse.
    Last edited by Taffia; 24 April 2014, 16:39.

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
      And any idea who else might be on this committee?
      Apparently there are 13 members on the Treasury Select Committee:

Treasury Committee - membership - UK Parliament

Some interesting oral evidence given to the Treasury Select Committee (8th April 2014) on the Budget 2014, questions 503 to 531 by the following witnesses:

Witnesses:

Frank Haskew, Head of Tax Faculty, Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales,

Patrick Stevens, Tax Policy Director, Chartered Institute of Taxation, and

Andrew Courts, Member, ACCA Global Tax Forum, gave evidence.

In particular Q520 to Q531 in this link.

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevi...oral/8468.html

It appears that Andrew Tyrie - chair of the Treasury Select Committee - is seeking further written representation from the above-named witnesses to the question of powers available to HMRC.
      Last edited by Living life on the Edge; 25 April 2014, 08:34. Reason: broken link
      "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

Originally posted by Living life on the Edge View Post
        Very interesting reading. And some interesting quotes...

"I am simply saying that our legal system has given us this strange animal called the tax avoidance scheme and therefore we need to invent our own way of dealing with it."

Comment

Some interesting oral evidence given to the Treasury Select Committee (8th April 2014) on the Budget 2014, questions 503 to 531 by the following witnesses:

Witnesses:

Frank Haskew, Head of Tax Faculty, Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales,

[Committee name]

It appears that Andrew Tyrie - chair of the Treasury Select Committee - is seeking further written representation from the above-named witnesses to the question of powers available to HMRC.
          My MP, Brooks Newmark is on that committee.

Comment

Witnesses:

[Committee name]

That certainly makes for an interesting read, pretty much touches on all topics of interest….

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
              That certainly makes for an interesting read, pretty much touches on all topics of interest….
              Errmm... I couldnt figure out if the answers were positivie or negative for the likes of us
              SAY NO TO RETROSPECTIVE TAX

Comment

Originally posted by zippo View Post
                Errmm... I couldnt figure out if the answers were positivie or negative for the likes of us
                My take on it was that they were broadly accepting of the principles underpinning the follower notices, but had significant reservations on the application of this to DOTAS registered schemes.

To be fair to Mr Tyrie, he did give them a couple of opportunities to be more forthcoming and direct in their answers and the invitation to them to provide further written submissions on the broadening of HMRC powers could be positive.

I have seen Tyrie in action before and he is a something of a 'jack russell' if he gets his teeth into a subject - one can only hope that these witnesses are sufficiently forthright with their written evidence to warrant a grilling of Osborne or Gauke.
                "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

My take on it was that they were broadly accepting of the principles underpinning the follower notices, but had significant reservations on the application of this to DOTAS registered schemes.

To be fair to Mr Tyrie, he did give them a couple of opportunities to be more forthcoming and direct in their answers and the invitation to them to provide further written submissions on the broadening of HMRC powers could be positive.

I have seen Tyrie in action before and he is a something of a 'jack russell' if he gets his teeth into a subject - one can only hope that these witnesses are sufficiently forthright with their written evidence to warrant a grilling of Osborne or Gauke.

That's how I read it too.

Is there another thread where the matter of follower notices is discussed at all? I'd be more than happy to write to and/or go and visit my MP (as he's on the treasury select committee).

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
                    That's how I read it too.

Is there another thread where the matter of follower notices is discussed at all? I'd be more than happy to write to and/or go and visit my MP (as he's on the treasury select committee).
                    I found their answers a bit wishy washy and evasive. Would have been better in my view if they had been slightly more explicit and forthright, but maybe that is part of the game...

Comment

Another interesting revelation involving HMRC.

I found the last paragraph interesting.

BBC News - F1's Ecclestone avoided potential £1.2bn tax bill

Comment

Working...
                      X