• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No figures appearing on Gateway?

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    If you have received closure notices, which have been appealed, then the amounts should appear online. I don't think these figures include interest though.

If you want exact figures I would ask HMRC.
    Hi

I just logged in to the government gateway thinking I'd be able to get an idea of what I owe but there's nothing on there at all. I presume I have to call the premium rate number and hang on the phone for hours (during working hours) to find out what my position is? Does anyone know of a quick way to find out?
    Also, I've rung before and managed to speak to a human who told me HMRC are not doing 'deals'. Am I right in presuming the only way forward is to get an estimated figure and pay what you can into a CTD and hope that when the final demand comes they're amenable to a payment plan of some sort?
    Does anyone know what their cutoff point is (as a percentage of amount owed) for making you bankrupt as opposed to giving you time to pay?
    I just want this stress to stop now ...
    Last edited by jlg15333; 24 March 2014, 11:13.

Comment

CTD

Hi.
      I have a CTD, if a demand comes through, can I pay from that and still hold the fact that interest is not charged should it ever become due - and lets face it the lack of justice in this whole fisaco it may be.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this

Also, I would not give the Robbers and Crooks any ideas about Retro IR35.
      What happens when they've attacked the lower hanging fruit that did nothing wrong - do they clean their own house and get the Large cooperations that constitute UK Ltd.

Comment

If you want exact figures I would ask HMRC....
        I assume MP are still our acting agents and would have the accurate amounts ?

Can someone PM me an MP contact to query it with ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jlg15333 View Post
          Hi

I just logged in to the government gateway thinking I'd be able to get an idea of what I owe but there's nothing on there at all. I presume I have to call the premium rate number and hang on the phone for hours (during working hours) to find out what my position is? Does anyone know of a quick way to find out?
          Also, I've rung before and managed to speak to a human who told me HMRC are not doing 'deals'. Am I right in presuming the only way forward is to get an estimated figure and pay what you can into a CTD and hope that when the final demand comes they're amenable to a payment plan of some sort?
          Does anyone know what their cutoff point is (as a percentage of amount owed) for making you bankrupt as opposed to giving you time to pay?
          I just want this stress to stop now ...
          Some here recommend investing in property rather than a CTD.

If you are fortunate enough to have any cash (I do not) then I would blow it on drugs and hookers. Anything left you can squander. But don't post it on here. HMRC might issue a jeopardy notice against you.

Personally I am worried that with my history I will not be made bankrupt. I would rather make a clean break then move on - even if it means I cant work in finance again.

But then its easy for me to say. I am now nuttier than a fruit cake and BN66 is actually 4th in my list of desperate issues to deal with. And a good chance that issues 5, 6 and 7 will overtake it.

Like you, I would rather be made bankrupt sooner rather than later. But this is going for the long haul. In 2008 I went for an end by 2012. In 2012 I thought 2015. Now I reckon more like 2020. Who knows?

I really really hope that HMRC lies will be exposed. And that we will get justice.

Sorry this was probably not much consolation. But its honest.

Comment

I thought this was a BN66 thread???

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              WHS

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                It is - I've moved the DOTAS/IR35 posts and I will ban for 1 day anyone who posts DOTAS/IR35 cud chewing for the next 24 hours.

I'm really getting irritated now...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Probably (hopefully)

Originally posted by VictorValiant View Post
                  The next step, as far as I can see, is to have NTRT/Whitehouse focus on the members of the Finance Committee who will be debating the Finance Bill presumably after the Easter Recess . The debates are spread over several sessions so the timing for the debates on the clause(s) in the Bill that are relevant to our situation is probably not known - sometime between late April and end of May - before the bill goes for Royal Assent. There is also the European Elections to take into account which may well affect the timing of things. We know from past experience that certain members of the Committee support our views - I am thinking of Cathy Jamieson and Chris Leslie here amongst others - but what we need is to engender support from the Conservative/LibDem members once the make-up of the Committee is announced (early April?). My own MP - whom I have seen on several occasions - is very much still supportive and - in his view - the use of retrospection on this scale is in itself "morally repugnant" to coin a well-used phrase by you-know-who. Good words but we need more action than words and some pressure to be brought to bear.
                  Wondering if members whose MPs are on the finance committee will be contacting them with Whitehouse pack? Anything in motion on this? (PM me if you'd rather not post on here)
                  Lord Clyde in 1929: ‘No man is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores. The Revenue is not slow to take every advantage which is open to it under the taxing statutes for the purpose of depleting the taxpayer’s pocket. And the taxpayer is entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Revenue.’

Comment

Gateway figures

If you have received closure notices, which have been appealed, then the amounts should appear online. I don't think these figures include interest though.

If you want exact figures I would ask HMRC.
                    I've still got copies of my original Self Assessment forms with the amounts I claimed. They do not match the numbers on Gateway. Which are much higher. There's even an amount for a year when I wasn't using Montpelier tax planning. All ammunition for my day in court. If I get one.

Comment

This may be of interest to you guys BBC Radio 4 - Analysis, The Rule of Law v the Rule of Man - a debate regarding the new legislation and also GAAR - it's argued that the Government cannot impose the rule of man on the rule of law
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X