• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
    Waiting with baited breath
    Personally, I'm not fussed about receiving information from Montp. I believe if anyone is going to get us out of this mess it's NTRT not Montp.

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
      Personally, I'm not fussed about receiving information from Montp. I believe if anyone is going to get us out of this mess it's NTRT not Montp.
      Me neither, we all know the FTT is the next step for them and until there's something definite to communicate as a result of that there's nothing to communicate about. Unless of course its to say they are pulling out their support or they've negotiated a settlement but I doubt either. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        I don't think it would be appropriate for MPs to try and influence the independent adjudicator.
        Good point but I meant more from the perspective of requesting they do investigate and report their findings on the points raised. Anyway I now know that the adjudicator has already accepted the complaint and that is going to happen regardless so my earlier question is invalid.

Comment

Great Job!

I've emailed Dominic Raab MP, Esher and Walton as per the latest newsletter.

The latest toolkit was a great read - superb effort for all those involved. I really hope the Adjudicator treats this complaint properly.

I will be making a further donation in due course.

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
            Whatever Montp can do to turn the screws can only help the situation. The more angles of concurrent attack the better.

I did hear mention recently that there was a possibility of some action that only Montp are able to do that could be very significant.

At the moment I'm not daring to hope that this could be the reason for the update.
            Last edited by WelshRarebit; 22 November 2013, 17:09. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Recent Toolkit and Newsletter

I've sent the Toolkit attachment to my MP and reinstated my erroneously lapsed Standing Order. This has been a most encouraging week, especially having read the submission to the Adjudicator. NTRT have done a fantastic job and are due a big vote of thanks. I agree that the more lines of attack we can open up, the better, so await the Montpelier update with interest.

I wish all you comrades a good weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by WelshRarebit View Post
                Whatever Montp can do to turn the screws can only help the situation. The more angles of concurrent attack the better.
                The toolkit and complaint to the Adjudicator is a superb piece of work that captures in detail every step of this monumental stitch up.

I am surprised by the reference to just 411 cases and am not sure what the criteria for selecting these might be. I hope it doesn't indicate the number of contributors to the NTRT fighting fund.

Regarding MontP. I personally believe that as there is obviously a benefit to MrG if it can be shown that Hector acted in a vindictive and mendacious manner, singling out the MontP scheme for special treatment. That being the case then assisting NTRT in some discreet way would not be out of the question.

I'm sure that MrG is also pursuing his own avenues of attack that will not be in the public domain. His arrest on a London Street will not have been forgotten.

Comment

Anyone seen the MontP update? I'm not sure if I haven't got it or if it hadn't been sent yet.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                    Anyone seen the MontP update? I'm not sure if I haven't got it or if it hadn't been sent yet.
                    I believe it has been sent but post from the IoM can take several days.

Comment

A013

Just stopped my DD for the lottery and made a donation to NTRT instead - reckon the odds of winning are better !

Then carried on looking at A013. The evidence in that doc is compelling and massively supports our complaint to the adjudicator. Then right at the end I noticed some additional words that I've not seen called out before.....its the HMRC letter dated march 2008 and right at the end it says:

"As the additional liabilities that are due.."

Additional ! So how come they now say it affected nothing and these liabilities always existed. Another play on words by HMRC as it suits them today yet clearly their original interpretation is the same as ours - BN66 was a change in the law giving rise to additional liabilities !!!
                      Last edited by travellingknob; 26 November 2013, 15:35. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                      X