• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    What sort of government department includes a paragraph in an official letter that starts with a "pally" and "patronising" tone:

"so you must ask yourself what is the likelihood..."

Very unprofessional and smacks a bit of desperation.

It doesn't really give me any confidence that what they are saying has an ounce of truth.
    #

Agree I thought that line was rather Juvinile and smacks of trying to avoid a fight they don't want to have.
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by MMSguru View Post
      Also received Lamb's letter today. Putting the application to the ECHR to one side for a minute, are HMRC planning to start enforcing collection if the FTT doesn't go our way? Looking forward to hearing NTRT's analysis shortly.
      I may have missed something along the way, but is there only one FTT - that would then apply to us all? I'd thought we were all going to ask for individual hearings?

Comment

dont know if I have the letter yet, will wait with baited breath for post when I get home.

However, anyone trying to send a pay now scare letter when there is a case to be heard smacks of a fear they may lose. If you were super confident you were going to win something then why bother trying to scare someone into paying early? if it were my money I would wait and let the interest rack up further.

There could be another motive, means test to see how many people offer, which might give an indicator of how much money they could end up with. Remember the wild speculations of how much money is at stake, maybe this is a prod to see if anyone might be willing to settle and if so how much cash this realises.

if I Get one I will be onto HMRC to tell them in no uncertain terms I cant settle and look forward to them making me and my family homeless!!!
        Last edited by smalldog; 23 October 2013, 14:27.

Comment

Originally posted by obitoo View Post
          I may have missed something along the way, but is there only one FTT - that would then apply to us all? I'd thought we were all going to ask for individual hearings?
          Nope, we would in all likelihood be bound as a group with the same argument by the single judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            Nope, we would in all likelihood be bound as a group with the same argument by the single judgement.
            Some may be bound by the same judgement, but many people have unique aspects to their cases and there are different arguments to be heard. I don't think it's going to be as easy as that for HMRC.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Perhaps most interesting of all is the open admission that under a literal interpretation of the law, the scheme could be judged to work. How does this sit with the wholly exceptional circumstances they claim for the use of retrospection? Is this the first time they have acknowledged that we actually do have a case, no matter how they have tried to undermine it?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                Ignore the HMRC letter and wait for the NTRT newsletter which will be out in the next fortnight.
                What would we do without the Donkey and NTRT!

Comment

HMRC Letter

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  What sort of government department includes a paragraph in an official letter that starts with a "pally" and "patronising" tone:

"so you must ask yourself what is the likelihood..."

Very unprofessional and smacks a bit of desperation.

It doesn't really give me any confidence that what they are saying has an ounce of truth.
                  I got a similar letter yesterday and totally agree with you SantaClaus that is is unprofessional, all the way from the grade 2 standard of bog roll on which it is printed, to the tone of the language used. Likewise, I believe this now smacks of desperation, as various Hectors realise that their index-linked gold plated pensions may become vulnerable as the spotlight of truth and justice is shone into the dark corners of their deceit and incompetence. So all things considered, I think I'll just hold on to my money for the time being! After all, the stock market is currently producing far better rewards than 3%.

Chins up.

Comment

Thank you

On a brighter note, the letter has encouraged more people to join NTRT.

A big thank you to those signed up and donated yesterday, and also to the people who have made further donations.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      On a brighter note, the letter has encouraged more people to join NTRT.

A big thank you to those signed up and donated yesterday, and also to the people who have made further donations.

+1
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X