• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have already done a similar thing.

Originally posted by GripRacing View Post
    I sent a letter to my MP, David Tredinnick (Cons), along the format as advised (with my own personal circumstances added in) complete with the Briefing Note.

My wife also wrote her own letter to him (that I enclosed in a separate envelope) describing the emotional, physical and psychological stress that this is putting our whole family through. She didn't go into any of the S58/BN66 facts, as they're in my letter, but gave her very personal view of our honest and ethical lifestyle compared to what has been done to us and the effect it is having on our relationship and our 4 children.

I don't know how he'll respond, and I'm expecting the standard template response with no acknowledgement of my request for a meeting, but let's see. A few MPs are aware enough, and ethical enough, to actually want to take this further.

They know it's wrong as much as we do, we just have to keep the pressure on so it gets to a higher level than the pressure that is stopping them.

GripRacing

And got the stock cover letter back signed by my MP and the other signed by Gauke. Neither of the signatures wrote the replies and after phoning his secrectary yesterday asking for a meeting only for her "colleague" to say across the desk that there is nothing more they can do I am now 99% certain that he has not even read my initial letter. I asked specific questions and requested specific replies. At which point I started to lose the plot and DEMANDED a meeting which is now scheduled for the 18th May.

Do not be suprised if you have a very similar experience but view it mearly as a starting point and something to build on.

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyCool View Post

And got the stock cover letter back signed by my MP and the other signed by Gauke. Neither of the signatures wrote the replies and after phoning his secrectary yesterday asking for a meeting only for her "colleague" to say across the desk that there is nothing more they can do I am now 99% certain that he has not even read my initial letter. I asked specific questions and requested specific replies. At which point I started to lose the plot and DEMANDED a meeting which is now scheduled for the 18th May.

Do not be suprised if you have a very similar experience but view it mearly as a starting point and something to build on.
      Thanks BarneyCool, I'll update as soon as I get a response, but whatever it is I'll push on with this.

I can understand the MP's reluctance to pick this up but, as has been stated before, we just need to persist and refuse to go away until we have made enough of a nuisance of ourselves to overcome the pain involved (for them) in doing something about this.

Grip.

Comment

Originally posted by GripRacing View Post
        BBC News - Civil service tax loopholes: Thousands on special contracts

Quote: "More than 2,000 public-sector workers could be avoiding the full rate of income tax through special contracts, government research has found.
        I realise this topic has calmed down a bit. However, if there is any truth that these 2,000 are 'Disguised Employees' it could raise Hector's IR35 batting average with very little effort.

Comment

Providing feedback from MPs

We have changed the fields in the Membership Details on the website so you can now:

a) include the name of your MP
          b) indicate if they would support an amendment
          c) comment on any feedback you've had from them

This information will be made available to Whitehouse.

We will include a reminder to fill this in in the next monthly newsletter.

Thanks
          DR

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            We will include a reminder to fill this in in the next monthly newsletter.

I bet they do better than Montp with their six week updates. I think I have seen 3 in the last year....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I bet they do better than Montp with their six week updates. I think I have seen 3 in the last year....
              The way that Montp issue updates doesn't help.

They send them by post and they do all the printing and envelope stuffing in-house.

With 1500+ clients that's a lot of work and not insignificant cost of postage etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                The way that Montp issue updates doesn't help.

They send them by post and they do all the printing and envelope stuffing in-house.

With 1500+ clients that's a lot of work and not insignificant cost of postage etc.
                That's very true although I'd be more than happy with any updates via email only.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  Now Newsnight has discovered that Mr Alexander is recommending that anyone paid more than about £58,000 should not be able to use this loophole to avoid paying tax.

Departmental "board members and senior officials" should be compelled to become staff, he argues, as should anyone engaged for more than six months on more than £220 a day.

This is interesting and may give an indication as to HMR&C's future planning for 'PSC's'
                  I foresee a bunch of contracts lasting 5 months and 29 days...

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
                    I foresee a bunch of contracts lasting 5 months and 29 days...
                    With rates of £219.99 per day as well no doubt
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Muppits

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                      With rates of £219.99 per day as well no doubt
                      I bet all of the large IT providers are rubbing their hands together.

Getting rid of those pesky £500/day contractors experts.
                      Move over! You ain't seen nothing yet.

Make way for the £900/day mediocre Big 5 consultants, and watch how many more Govt project budgets balloon out of control.
                      Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Working...
                      X