• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RingStinger View Post
    I too have received a response from my MP, a letter from John Redwood (Con, Wokingham) by return of post, reaffirning his support for us and stating that he will lobby his colleagues to support the amendment.
    I've just had the a response from my Tory MP regarding the latest NTRT email basically telling me to bog off as he doesn't think this is email request is appropriate and that writing to colleagues on a Bill Committee is unusual, and has never seen it happen, and would arouse raised eyebrows if not suspicions, especially if linked to just one constituent who will benefit financially.

The email basically ended by saying he's not going to act as a lobbyist for me or anyone else on this matter.

I know who I won't be voting for next time!

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
      I've just had the a response from my Tory MP regarding the latest NTRT email basically telling me to bog off as he doesn't think this is email request is appropriate and that writing to colleagues on a Bill Committee is unusual, and has never seen it happen, and would arouse raised eyebrows if not suspicions, especially if linked to just one constituent who will benefit financially.

The email basically ended by saying he's not going to act as a lobbyist for me or anyone else on this matter.

Did you offer to pay the going rate?
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post

Maybe if the twat knew people's lives are at stake, he might get why protocol may very well be being broken!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          Maybe if the twat knew people's lives are at stake, he might get why protocol may very well be being broken!
          He does but he's more interested in furthering his career i guess.

Comment

lib dem support

Paul Burstow mp said

he has written to Bristol and West / Williams, Stephen (Liberal Democrat) mp .. who is on the finance committe and forwarded my (our) letter.

Hope this helps

CPBWRN

Comment

Just got a mail from my MP informing that Steve Baker is holding a briefing on Wednesday morning for anyone concerned about 'retrospective implementation of changes to tax rules'.

Good man!

Comment

Originally posted by Taffia View Post
                Just got a mail from my MP informing that Steve Baker is holding a briefing on Wednesday morning for anyone concerned about 'retrospective implementation of changes to tax rules'.

Good man!
                What a top guy. Wish he was my MP!

Comment

Adam afriyie

So letter finally from HOC from Adam afriyie saying he's been very busy and at least acknowledging I've been trying to get in touch.

Interestingly it says is always happy to meet with constituents but in some instances it maybe more effective for him to take immediate action rather than wait for an appointment slot.

It says please further outline the issue what action would I like him to take only behalf, will scan the letter to ntrt for further instructions. I've already sent him the latest email.

At least I now have an open comms channel, to date he's ignored everything!progress
                  Last edited by smalldog; 15 June 2013, 11:05.

Comment

Response From MP Richard Ottaway

Standard "wholly artificial" BS response from my MP - sent to Carl @ Whitehouse to review and hopefully assist me in responding ....

Different from what he said on my doorstep, when he came canvassing a few years back. I wouldn't recommend him knocking at my door again anytime soon.

Comment

My Email to DG

Ready to fire this off tomorrow with a couple of meg of attachments...

In 2003 I was a one man IT company that should have been classed as self employed, but because of government regulation I was forced to operate as a limited company. When IR35 was introduced it was unclear as to whether I fell under it. The tables below show how unfair IR35 was in terms of rates of tax I would have been required to pay at today’s rates.

Between £8,105 and £34,700
                      Employees NI 12%
                      Employers NI 13.8%
                      Basic Rate Tax 20%
                      Total Rate of Tax 45.8%

Between £34,370 and £42,475
                      Employees NI 12%
                      Employers NI 13.8%
                      Basic Rate Tax 40%
                      Total Rate of Tax 65.8%

Over £42,475
                      Employees NI 2%
                      Employers NI 13.8%
                      Basic Rate Tax 40%
                      Total Rate of Tax 55.8%

Nobody else in this country is required to pay such punitive rates of tax and so felt persecuted and annoyed enough to do something about it. I decided to take some tax planning advice from Monpellier and joined their scheme in April 2003. I chose this scheme because it had been running for a number of years, was advised that it was perfectly legal, known to HMRC since 1993 and would be declared on my self assessment tax return.

In December 2005 a colleague that joined the scheme at the same time had an enquiry opened into his 2003/2004 tax return by HMRC. In March 2006 he received a notice of completion of the investigation with no further tax to pay. I took this as further confirmation that the scheme worked and was completely legal and above board. Please find attached (A) my colleagues notice of completion from HMRC.

For the first time in May 2007 I received a letter from HMRC stating they did not accept that the scheme was legal. They wanted to take a number of test cases to a tax tribunal and asked if I would abide by the out come. After consultation with my advisors, I agreed to abide by the results. These test cases never took place because HMRC knew they would not win. I left the scheme in August 2007 and in March 2008, S58 was introduced retrospectively changing the law. Please find attached (B) the test case letter from HMRC

In June 2009 I received closure notices from HMRC asking for huge sums of money that did not correspond to the amounts claimed through the scheme on my tax returns.

Monpellier took S58 to the British courts on the grounds the government was not allowed to change the law retrospectively. The court decided that the government was within it’s rights to do this. Application to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) was denied by the British courts. Price Waterhouse Cooper have already filed a case against S58 with ECHR. Once this case is heard, I’m very confident the retrospective application of S58 will be over ruled. This may be to late for many people who have been made bankrupt by this injustice. If this happens, the cost to the government could be enormous in terms of compensation to the victims.

Also attached (D & E) is David Gauke’s statement opposing S58 while in opposition and an article in the Telegraph quoting George Osbourne criticising India for introducing retrospective taxation and how it will damage the overall climate for investment.

I implore you and the government to stop this injustice and hypocrisy and repeal the retrospective application of S58 before any more harm is done to myself, the 3000 people this affects and the country.

Comment

Working...
                      X