• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey!

Firstly fantastic news and well done to all of NTRT and Whitehouse.

Also a big thank you to my MP Philip Hollobone (Conservative) for putting his name to the Cross Party Letter to Gauke. I was not the most complimentary towards Mr. Hollobone early in the campaign on this forum as he appeared to be just acting as a messenger for Gauke. However he's now seen through HRMC's lies and deceit and come out fighting for NTRT. Well done and thanks from all of us!

Comment

Splendid work

Well done and a huge vote of thanks to all those at NTRT who have given their time freely and through unrelenting hard endeavour, along with Whitehouse's skill in these matters, have brought us to this point. I do not want to temp fate but today I feel the best I've done in the many years of this cruel and drawn-out saga.

Also, a big thank you to my MP Dame Anne Begg (Labour) who has been supportive throughout and put her name to the cross-party letter.

Fingers crossed and chins up for the last big push.

Comment

BRILLIANT NEWS!!!

Please keep us posted regards any chasing needing doing!

Also maybe it's me being thick but are the numbers of the comments on this a little off? There is a (1), (2), and (4) but where is the (3)????
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Great news

Amazing work from the NTRT team and Whitehouse - well done guys ...
          Also, a quick update from my visit to see my MP Rob Wilson on Friday. Despite his previous correspondence being quite pro-Gauke he seemed genuinely taken aback by HMRC's behaviour and the way we've been treated. He has assured me that he will write to Mr Gauke again with his concerns and I am hopeful that he can be persuaded to vote with us on the forthcoming amendment.

Comment

If your MP is on the committee contact Whitehouse

Jonathan Ashworth; Steve Baker; John Cryer; Stephen Doughty; James Duddridge; Chris Evans; Mr David Gauke; Sheila Gilmore; Ben Gummer; Greg Hands; Cathy Jamieson; Sajid Javid; Mr Marcus Jones; Kwasi Kwarteng; Chris Leslie; Andy McDonald; Catherine McKinnell; Ian Mearns; Mark Menzies; Nigel Mills; David Mowat; Sheryll Murray; Pamela Nash; Mr Brooks Newmark; Fiona O’Donnell; Dr Matthew Offord; Teresa Pearce; John Pugh; Yasmin Qureshi; Jim Shannon; Andrew Stephenson; Rory Stewart; Mr Michael Thornton; Paul Uppal; Stephen Williams.

Comment

Article on ConservativeHome website

Rob Barber: Retrospective legislation is an offence to justice and an enemy to growth

Whitehouse suggest it would be helpful if everyone could tweet, blog and re-post this article as appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                Whitehouse have worked their magic and the amendment to the Finance Bill has been tabled.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...bc1542504m.pdf

Page 31, NC1 (New Clause 1) tabled by Steve Baker (Conservative).

Abolition of retrospective application of section 58(4) of the Finance Act 2008

NC1

To move the following Clause:—
                ‘(1) Section 58 of the Finance Act 2008 (UK residents and foreign partnerships) is amended as follows.
                (2) In subsection (4), delete “always having had effect” and insert “having effect from 12 March 2008.”.’.

This is absolutely fantastic news. A massively big thanks to everyone involved - DR, NTRT Team, Whitehouse.

Can you explain the mechanics of what could happen now please? Who gets to vote on the ammendment and when would that take place?

Comment

Now things are starting to gather pace, I'm going to be posting more regular blog updates on the "latest news" section of the NTRT website.

Latest News | No To Retrospective Taxation

Please feel free to use the buttons above each article to tweet, like or share on your favourite social media.

Thanks

Santa
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by foolishboy View Post
                    Who gets to vote on the ammendment and when would that take place?
                    These MPs on the finance bill committee will vote on it.

Jonathan Ashworth; Steve Baker; John Cryer; Stephen Doughty; James Duddridge; Chris Evans; Mr David Gauke; Sheila Gilmore; Ben Gummer; Greg Hands; Cathy Jamieson; Sajid Javid; Mr Marcus Jones; Kwasi Kwarteng; Chris Leslie; Andy McDonald; Catherine McKinnell; Ian Mearns; Mark Menzies; Nigel Mills; David Mowat; Sheryll Murray; Pamela Nash; Mr Brooks Newmark; Fiona O’Donnell; Dr Matthew Offord; Teresa Pearce; John Pugh; Yasmin Qureshi; Jim Shannon; Andrew Stephenson; Rory Stewart; Mr Michael Thornton; Paul Uppal; Stephen Williams

We've got just over a month to drum up support. Needless to say, this is Whitehouse's number 1 priority at the moment!
                    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 5 May 2013, 06:29.

Comment

Amendment - S58

Big thanks to SC, DR, NTRT and The Whitehouse Consultancy.
                      http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X