• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Talking Cheese,

I was with Steed and then Sanzar, but have had no communication of an enquiry etc from HMRC at all. The first communication I received for those tax years was yesterday, a re-assessment of the tax I owe demanding payment by May 4th. Still trying to establish if they are out of time on this one. According to Steed and their QC they are well out of time. Watch this space ...

Regards,
    Andytp.

Comment

Finance Bill

Membership of the Finance Bill committee was announced yesterday.

Whitehouse's number one priority over the next couple of weeks will be lobbying these MPs, and pursuing the amendment to remove the retrospective element of S58.

Please bear this in mind if you are waiting for a response from them about anything else.

MPs on the Committee

Jonathan Ashworth; Steve Baker; John Cryer; Stephen Doughty; James Duddridge; Chris Evans; Mr David Gauke; Sheila Gilmore; Ben Gummer; Greg Hands; Cathy Jamieson; Sajid Javid; Mr Marcus Jones; Kwasi Kwarteng; Chris Leslie; Andy McDonald; Catherine McKinnell; Ian Mearns; Mark Menzies; Nigel Mills; David Mowat; Sheryll Murray; Pamela Nash; Mr Brooks Newmark; Fiona O’Donnell; Dr Matthew Offord; Teresa Pearce; John Pugh; Yasmin Qureshi; Jim Shannon; Andrew Stephenson; Rory Stewart; Mr Michael Thornton; Paul Uppal; Stephen Williams.
      Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 20 April 2013, 07:06.

Comment

Finance Bill

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Membership of the Finance Bill committee was announced yesterday.

Whitehouse's number one priority over the next couple of weeks will be lobbying these MPs, and pursuing the amendment to remove the retrospective element of S58.

Please bear this in mind if you are waiting for a response from them about anything else.

MPs on the Committee

Jonathan Ashworth; Steve Baker; John Cryer; Stephen Doughty; James Duddridge; Chris Evans; Mr David Gauke; Sheila Gilmore; Ben Gummer; Greg Hands; Cathy Jamieson; Sajid Javid; Mr Marcus Jones; Kwasi Kwarteng; Chris Leslie; Andy McDonald; Catherine McKinnell; Ian Mearns; Mark Menzies; Nigel Mills; David Mowat; Sheryll Murray; Pamela Nash; Mr Brooks Newmark; Fiona O’Donnell; Dr Matthew Offord; Teresa Pearce; John Pugh; Yasmin Qureshi; Jim Shannon; Andrew Stephenson; Rory Stewart; Mr Michael Thornton; Paul Uppal; Stephen Williams.

my MP is not in the list, should I ask him to lobby any MPs on the committee he thinks he can?

Comment

I see the UK Government is trying to legally avoid any component of the FTT tax from Europe. Maybe the EU should retrospectively clarify and close any loophole so the UK can't avoid paying their fair share, because that'd be ok then, wouldn't it?

Comment

Mark Menzies is my MP who has offered a lot of support so far. Do we have a standard letter approach since his new appointment ?

Comment

DITTO

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
              my MP is not in the list, should I ask him to lobby any MPs on the committee he thinks he can?
              Similarly, my MP is not on the committee but has been very supportive. Is there anyone in particular she should be lobbying? (Cathie Jamieson comes to mind as I believe she has also been supportive and is also a Scottish Labour party MP)?

Comment

i would like to get involved

i would like to get involved

is there a standard template, that I could fire off to my MP.

Comment

Everything you need is on the NTRT website (take a look at the 1st post of this thread).
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Google following the law...

BBC News - Google boss defends UK tax record to BBC

"I think the most important thing to say about our taxes is that we fully comply with the law and we'll obviously, should the law change, we'll comply with that as well."

... now, where is the flaw in this plan ? He'll be ok if he has a crystal ball...
                    http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                      BBC News - Google boss defends UK tax record to BBC

"I think the most important thing to say about our taxes is that we fully comply with the law and we'll obviously, should the law change, we'll comply with that as well."

... now, where is the flaw in this plan ? He'll be ok if he has a crystal ball...
                      So apparently it's perfectly acceptable to legally avoid tax providing your are contribution so much to the economy. Where in the taxation laws does it say that?

That's how the Google boss has defended his companies tax record in the UK!

Comment

Working...
                      X