• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
    None of the language used today is relevant to our scheme which closed around the time of the financial crash and before this charade of a phase 'aggressive avoidance' had even been coined.
    This is one of the problems we face. Politicians etc. are judging our actions many years ago as though we were doing it today.

I left the scheme in 2003 when tax avoidance was merely frowned upon. There was certainly nothing like the fervour and witch hunts that are going on now.

Comment

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
      I absolutely support the government tackling tax loopholes and avoidance schemes and closing them down through legal means. I would welcome the level playing field we might one day see at the end of that process. However, the trouble with politicians is that they jump on the bandwagon of today but are slow to implement the changes required. What happened to this catch all law that was supposed to come out of the last budget to tackle such schemes ? Its the perfect example of the fluff and emotive language used but the lack of meaningful action behind it. Naming and shaming someone who has done something perfectly legal is just a preposterous thing to say, I hope the public sees through such rubbish and boots those particular politicians out at the next election. They are worthless.
      Most people would completely agree with that.

Purely out of interest, is tax law anything other than a sprawling collection of "if...else" statements? It's just that, for the life of me, I can't understand why they find it so damned difficult to close down these loopholes.

Comment

Originally posted by Disgusted of Coventry View Post
        Most people would completely agree with that.

Purely out of interest, is tax law anything other than a sprawling collection of "if...else" statements? It's just that, for the life of me, I can't understand why they find it so damned difficult to close down these loopholes.
        Mostly it's If...Then. The complications arise when people come up with scenarios not covered by the If's.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Mostly it's If...Then. The complications arise when people come up with scenarios not covered by the If's.
          Nice of you to stop by DaveB...but then I guess we are slipping into code speak.
          Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
          "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

New letter from Hon David Gauke

Has anyone else received correspondence via their MP from David Gauke?

I received one this morning, signed by the man himself, which eneded with thanks for continuing to bring this matter to his attention. The previous page or so was less grateful for my efforts and seemed to dismiss NTRT out of hand.

Is this a form letter doing the rounds or worth forwarding to NTRT?

Comment

Originally posted by Guttersnipe View Post
              Has anyone else received correspondence via their MP from David Gauke?

I received one this morning, signed by the man himself, which eneded with thanks for continuing to bring this matter to his attention. The previous page or so was less grateful for my efforts and seemed to dismiss NTRT out of hand.

Is this a form letter doing the rounds or worth forwarding to NTRT?
              The thanks bit is another way of dismissing the issue out of the park. It is merely following protocol and is nothing whatsover to cling to. I'm sure it would be worthwhile forwarding it for a number count, I already have.

Comment

HMRC Tax Dodgers List

Hands up all those who checked whether their names were on it!

BBC News - Tax dodgers named on HMRC list
                Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post

Surely this is breaching the Human Rights Code? Who the hell makes the decision that these measures are appropriate? Utterly outrageous.

Comment

If anyone from HMRC is found to have knowingly deceived Parliament/The High Court, and to have debased the very system which they are supposed to uphold, then can their names be similarly published?

Comment

I've had a look at the list and can't seem to find Starbucks, Google, Amazon, etc.
                      http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X