• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
    Whose going to do the patronising can't we stop bickering post in response to this...seeing as it's normally you?
    and that makes sense ?
    MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
      Whose going to do the patronising can't we stop bickering post in response to this...seeing as it's normally you?

Hmmm.... surely "Who's" .... sorry, couldn't resist..

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        As you can see from my sig I made it! And we are going to win against HMRC - it is the only just and fair outcome.

How long it will take for the pain to go is another matter!
        I've said it before, but well done Brillo!
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

surely they all cant be worth £200m??

Surely not all tax avoidance cases can be worth £200M???? its laughable, they have no idea:

BBC News - HMRC hails three tax avoidance victories

Comment

HMRC misleading

Anyone been tuning into the reruns on BBC Parliament of the Public Accounts Committee's session on tax disputes? Homer & Harnett under the grill.
            Normally, "get real, I'd rather watch paint dry". But such are the bizarre distractions when one finds oneself at the base on the tax guillotine.

Somewhere in the 2hr dialogue there was a glorious cross examination by the Committe members of what HMRC told parliament and what actually transpired. Below is a link to the relevent part of the transcript. Have a read from Q13 to Q32.

House of Commons - Corrected Evidence - HC 385-ii

It ends with this inspiring statement from the chairwoman...

Q32 Chair: Ms Homer, we have been around the houses. I am just going to say to you that I think you should take this away, as accounting officer, and investigate further whether somebody who accounts to you actually did mislead Parliament. We will take away and discuss what we will do, with possible reference to the Attorney-General, as to whether a particular individual, who is accountable to you, did mislead Parliament. Clearly, we can sit here batting this to and fro.

I smiled, felt good. We are not an anomaly after all.

Keep up the good work HMRC :-)
            Last edited by the great escape; 21 August 2012, 22:43.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              Surely not all tax avoidance cases can be worth £200M???? its laughable, they have no idea:

BBC News - HMRC hails three tax avoidance victories
              From the article - 3 wins in a row does not make a streak. Which is very true. If you toss 20 coins you expect 5 heads or tails in a row 25% of the time.

I still reckon are chances are better than 50/50 though.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                From the article - 3 wins in a row does not make a streak. Which is very true. If you toss 20 coins you expect 5 heads or tails in a row 25% of the time.

I still reckon are chances are better than 50/50 though.
                hmrc have the funds(our money!) to publicise this stuff...they dont publish the thousands of cases they lose!
                Part of their objective is to scare people into thinking they should pay maximum amount of tax!

Comment

Another Rebuke

From my Conservative MP latest response to latest NTRT letter.

Dear Mr X

Thank you for your recent letter regarding Retro Tax.

Further to our meeting on xxx and my letters dated xxx and xxx. I believe I have made my position quite clear. You are more than welcome to write to David Gauke MP yourself, however this will not be an action I will be undertaking on your behalf.

I trust this clarifies the situation

It certainly does, message received loud and clear, I will forward onto NTRT.

Comment

Originally posted by the great escape View Post
                    Somewhere in the 2hr dialogue there was a glorious cross examination by the Committe members of what HMRC told parliament and what actually transpired. Below is a link to the relevent part of the transcript. Have a read from Q13 to Q32.

House of Commons - Corrected Evidence - HC 385-ii
                    ...And it's an extremely close parallel to the argument over HMRC's fantasy that they "consistently maintained that the scheme didn't work".

From Qu.13 to Qu.32, the Committee is questioning their use of the word "throughout" (Hartnett & Inglese had both asserted that "lawyers were involved throughout" the Vodaphone negotiations).

Lin Homer (for HMRC) attempts to argue that "throughout" means "not throughout".

HMRC appears determined to have its way by stripping language of its meaning. It's really hard to see how the UK can ultimately benefit from this kind of departmental sickness.

Comment

Disgusting

Originally posted by mrkitchen View Post
                      From my Conservative MP latest response to latest NTRT letter.

Dear Mr X

Thank you for your recent letter regarding Retro Tax.

Further to our meeting on xxx and my letters dated xxx and xxx. I believe I have made my position quite clear. You are more than welcome to write to David Gauke MP yourself, however this will not be an action I will be undertaking on your behalf.

I trust this clarifies the situation

It certainly does, message received loud and clear, I will forward onto NTRT.
                      What a complete arse!

Comment

Working...
                      X