• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    I was also shocked to agree with Mr Milliband when he remarked on the radio that its not for the government to judge but to ensure that, wait for it:

"Policy is in place to protect against such avoidance".

Totally agree and I get the impression, maybe misguidedly that he may know something about our case and is lining the Gauke up for a proper kicking!!! fingers crossed!!
    It's all getting very interesting. I wonder what the Times will reveal tomorrow. Who else is using 'a scheme'?

It is ironic that UK politicians have a go at 'tax havens' because we set most of them up. It wasn't an accident, it was a national income.
    There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

We could always start a viral twitter campaign to drown out the government's spin.

Retweet if you want to:

Retweet if you think David Cameron and his patronising government are "morally repugnant" ‪#taxavoidance‬ ‪#youcantalk‬ ‪#Cameron‬
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

email sent to John Redwood MP

Sent the email to my MP and got response...

I am taking this up for you.

Best Wishes,

The Rt Hon John Redwood MP

Comment

Ive had zero response from Mr adam afriyie (Windsor) to either my original letter or this latest urgent mail. For someone who was so vocal he's gone awfully quiet! reckon hes been got at, he stepped out of line I suspect with his views on taxation.

Comment

A-dam shame

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            Ive had zero response from Mr adam afriyie (Windsor) to either my original letter or this latest urgent mail. For someone who was so vocal he's gone awfully quiet! reckon hes been got at, he stepped out of line I suspect with his views on taxation.
            I've heard nothing back from Mr Afriyie myself with regards to the 2nd letter I sent re: rebuttal to std Gauke initial response but did get confirmation that my email today was received. Apologies however that he receives 1000s of other emails per day and may be some time until he gets round to it.

I am most surprised given his stance in that inspiring attachment a few posts back. C'mon Ads, get in the game!

Comment

Consistency ?

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
              Our complaint is that Parliament was misled into making the closedown retrospective. They didn't even know the truth about what they were being asked to do.

What does that say for the rule of law and HMRCs respect for the law?

Our case is not about tax avoidance, it's about the right to a fair trial. To be judged impartially in the face of the law.

What if we took HMRCs behaviour as an example of how we should behave?

Jimmy Carr's only comment on his tax affairs being made public was that he paid the tax that was due and no more. Strangly, that's exactly what the Courts have always said too. It's a difficult one to argue against. For those who disagree, how much extra tax have you paid that was not due?

Perhaps HMRC would like to demonstrate this concept by telling us how much extra tax that is not require by law they have paid?

I'll probably have to wait as long as I have to wait for my case to be heard at the commssionaires to get an answer to that one. So that's five years and counting.....
              Hi Toocan - don't get me wrong, I'm fully behind the activities of this group and the No To Retro campaign.

What was interesting tonight is that it was the lead story on BBC and Sky news at 10pm and prior to this, there was a debate on the BBC news about the Jimmy Carr scheme. All of the stuff I've seen today is that avoidance is frowned upon (in general terms) but perfectly legal. HMRC may close a loophole but Accountant/Advisors will always find another to ensure money is taxed legally.

The other thing about the BBC debate was some wally insisting that schemes like our are for the super rich and not Joe Average. He was quickly corrected by his counterpart at about the same time I swore at the flat screen !

HMRC are going to chase down avoidance schemes, but I still bet that they won't apply the same retrospective rules to other cases, particularly where there are some very visible clients. It would be far too controversial.

I think the timing of this is good news for us, it puts it in the forefront of many minds ahead of next weeks Finance committee meeting where they can focus on why it was reasonable to change the law for us and for no one else. If they changed the law for all other schemes the UK would go mad.........

As much as they should question the morality of the avoidance schemes, they should also question the morality of changing the law retrospectively.

** NO TO RETRO **

Comment

Originally posted by GottaBeOptimistic View Post
                Hi Toocan - don't get me wrong, I'm fully behind the activities of this group and the No To Retro campaign.

What was interesting tonight is that it was the lead story on BBC and Sky news at 10pm and prior to this, there was a debate on the BBC news about the Jimmy Carr scheme. All of the stuff I've seen today is that avoidance is frowned upon (in general terms) but perfectly legal. HMRC may close a loophole but Accountant/Advisors will always find another to ensure money is taxed legally.

The other thing about the BBC debate was some wally insisting that schemes like our are for the super rich and not Joe Average. He was quickly corrected by his counterpart at about the same time I swore at the flat screen !

HMRC are going to chase down avoidance schemes, but I still bet that they won't apply the same retrospective rules to other cases, particularly where there are some very visible clients. It would be far too controversial.

I think the timing of this is good news for us, it puts it in the forefront of many minds ahead of next weeks Finance committee meeting where they can focus on why it was reasonable to change the law for us and for no one else. If they changed the law for all other schemes the UK would go mad.........

As much as they should question the morality of the avoidance schemes, they should also question the morality of changing the law retrospectively.

** NO TO RETRO **
                Couldnt agree more, someone is going to ask the question next week, so does that mean everyone involved in tax avoidance will have the rules changed retro? I think we know the answer to that one, and it makes the whole debacle ridiculous! Course they bloody wont!!!!!!
                Last edited by smalldog; 20 June 2012, 22:31.

Comment

My MP Greg Barker's secretary emailed me back to say "he suggests that he can forward your concerns and the points you raised to Mr Gauke ahead of next Tuesday’s meeting. As a Government Minister he cannot actively support the No to Retro Tax campaign but he can ask that the matter is carefully considered once again."

Oh well, that's something I suppose...

Comment

Email sent to Jim Hood MP

Just moved into a new constituency, so email sent.

Comment

First post here having been watching and lurking for years. You guys/girls are doing a great job.

I've just emailed my MP, George Hollingbery with the standard letter.

Fingers crossed....

Comment

Working...
                      X