• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I did not run up a big tax bill. It was forced on me retrospectively.
    Exactly.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      If anyone wants to strike up a conversation on Twitter with other MPs who were in the Finance Bill discussion, here is the text in full, with everything that was said:

http://www.publications.parliament.u.../140617s01.htm

House of Commons Public Bill Committee : Finance Bill (17 June 2014)

The other MPs, besides Swales and Elphick have been let off the hook far too easily. Thee were also some supportive MPs if I remember rightly.
      I haven't gone through the whole transcript, but surely there were more untruths being stated than just the number of responses to the condoc. We should scrutinize it carefully and protest / respond right away to debunk the BS.
      They are not used to that, plus here's an opportunity to leverage our group power. Individually we are not much, but if we organize to work like little bees...
      I know a few of the MPs were engaged today but the other ones also deserve some "love"

www.dotas-scandal.org
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Anyone know ukip stance on all of this? Farage loves kicking these guys in the nuts. Particularly if he can hang all these supposed extra £xbn's being squandered to prop up euro policies!

Comment

We are being trolled on twitter by @fotgetfotdo

He/she is definately following this thread too.

I have a feeling it's one of our old friends.

My advice - ignore ignore ignore. He/she is in the minority with his comments.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            Anyone know ukip stance on all of this? Farage loves kicking these guys in the nuts. Particularly if he can hang all these supposed extra £xbn's being squandered to prop up euro policies!
            Most forms of legal tax avoidance are ok, says Nigel Farage | Business | theguardian.com

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post

Yep and if they are following this thread, they have made a big assumption no other tax had been paid during the use of a tax planning scheme. Ass of u and me, i mean if you are going to argue don't do it based on assumptions jeeeez how unintelligent.

Comment

I think UKIP's core is pretty (moderate) libertarian, so they have a sceptical attitude to taxation and a pro-market mentality. However, Farage has said they are scrapping their flat tax proposal, which I consider to be a shame. Nonetheless, they may have something better in mind.

Can't be worse than the Lib-dems and their vaunted promise to "abolish" IR35, with a Lib-dem peer now trying to defend the Treasury's response to the measure. At least they've showed their true colours when it comes to how they view contractors.

The attitude of the government (and the supposedly independent courts that belong to it) is quite clear: HMRC is above scrutiny, doesn't have to put anything resembling a serious argument together to defend its depredations and can get away with fabricating figures in ways that would make Enron's accountants blush, so much so that it could offer master courses in creative accounting.
                Last edited by Zero Liability; 18 June 2014, 22:14.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                  Yep and if they are following this thread, they have made a big assumption no other tax had been paid during the use of a tax planning scheme. Ass of u and me, i mean if you are going to argue don't do it based on assumptions jeeeez how unintelligent.
                  Not only that but if your going to try abusing people online then don't leave yourself open in other locations found via Google.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post

Probably the same troll that always shows up when we go outside of the forum. A particularly sad individual, who must really want someone to pay him some attention. And yes, I am also sure it is someone who turns up here. Don't engage, that's how he gets his kicks when he's not having a

Comment

I am aware the monpelier have contributed nothing to the ntrt fighting fund.

I am starting to feel let down by them. I the past I did feel supported by them - but I feel now they could do more.

I do have some background information on this I am not prepared to share publicly - I will only share with those who attend.

I intend to organize a demonstration at the montpelier office in the IoM. It will be totally peaceful - the aim is to generate publicity and to shame montpelier into making a contribution.

Please PM me with your email if there is any interest.

BP

Comment

Working...
                      X