• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funjim View Post
    Dauke now out of the picture?

If so do we know what Priti Patel is like?
    Priti Patel (brought in)

Priti Patel joins George Osborne's Treasury team as Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury, replacing David Gauke, who himself is promoted to Financial Secretary. The former public relations consultant has yet to serve in government and has rebelled in the past over the issue of an EU referendum.

Be good if she rebelled on our cause. Can't see it though.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatEver View Post
      Going back to Sep 2012 and the suggestion to request CNs under discovery be closed, did anything result from this?
      I tried this angle for two of my returns and ended up receiving a letter from Mr Brannigan himself stating, basically, that I had no chance of getting them rescinded.

PM me if you like and I'll send over what he stated...

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Digging For Dirt

Are you, like us, among the 43,000 people targeted by the new retrospective Accelerated Payment rules?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...harged-by-hmrc

Do you also, like us, want pay back?

Our mission is to expose the hypocritical, sanctimonious perpetrators of this. Government ministers, MPs who voted for it and senior HMRC/Treasury officials.

We will be hiring private investigators, freelance journalists and forensic accountants to dig for dirt:
        • financial/tax affairs
        • sex, drugs, alcohol
        • skeletons in the family closet
        • any other shenanigans

Our target is to raise £2million to finance the mother of all campaigns against them (£100 from 20,000 people)

Please donate what you can.

We may not be able to get justice for you, or prevent people facing financial hardship, but we are determined to make those in authority responsible for this pay.
        Count me in!

Comment

Originally posted by funjim View Post
          Dauke now out of the picture?

If so do we know what Priti Patel is like?
          Gauke tweeted earlier that he will continue to retain responsibility for tax policy including HMRC.

So, as things currently stand, he is still Mr AP.

Comment

Pre 2004

I wonder how they will come after pre 2004 returns? I can't see them leaving any stone unturned and am frankly surprised they haven't extended it back to years before 2004 provided that the scheme continued long enough to have a DOTAS# further down the road.

It does seem unfair to demand payment for some years and not others.

I'm not sure, however, whether this is a possible reprieve for those of us with pre 2004 returns?? Issuing APNs may reduce the ferocity with which they pursue earlier returns seeing as they now have less incentive to take the post 2004 lot to court in a hurry....they now have money coming in, their hands full and their egos nicely bolstered. Wishful thinking maybe??

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
              I'm not sure, however, whether this is a possible reprieve for those of us with pre 2004 returns?? Issuing APNs may reduce the ferocity with which they pursue earlier returns seeing as they now have less incentive to take the post 2004 lot to court in a hurry....they now have money coming in, their hands full and their egos nicely bolstered. Wishful thinking maybe??
              If it wasn't for the fact that the Huitson & Shiner appeals were already in the queue at the FTT, I would agree with you. HMRC have little influence now on the speed this gets to court.

They are obviously banking on winning, and then they can hit everyone else with follower notices.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
                This is an EXCELLENT idea.

Potential issues - With the new 'privacy' laws and throttling of the press it may be hard to get the information published. Also if it is put online; they also have the power to shut down the website. Would need to get the data viral as quickly as possible.

How much does it cost to take out a full page advert in the TIMES. Would they allow an advert like this?
                Just host a website anonymously, somewhere like Norway. They won't be able to do anything about it.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by KAK123 View Post
                  To fellow victims....My first ever post on here. Thanks to all the main contributors as it has been a source of information and often a comfort.

I just called the HMRC number that is on the recent press release about Accelerated Payments. I spoke with a lady who seemed sympathetic. She explained that all she knows at the moment is that if your scheme number is listed then you will receive a letter detailing the calculation that HMRC deem what you need to pay. She said this letter could be sent out anything up to 20 months from now as they have thousands to handle and apologised for a lack of any further information. I asked what happens if I simply do not have the money to pay and she merely said that I need to wait for the letter as it will contain contact information.

So, I can't believe it but we are actually at the end of the road. That road is still possibly 20 months long but it appears to have a dead end.
                  Really not sure. I believe we do have to wait for the APNs. I understand there a few other scheme providers who are mounting a APN legal challenge (unless they jump ship and head to planet Mars - believe this is still a haven from Hmrc).
                  We also need a statement from Montpellier on what we should be doing, they after all are the scheme provider.
                  Also we need an update from NTRT please....
                  Also keep tweeting - it is getting our case/lives noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by warlord View Post
                    Really not sure. I believe we do have to wait for the APNs. I understand there a few other scheme providers who are mounting a APN legal challenge (unless they jump ship and head to planet Mars - believe this is still a haven from Hmrc).
                    We also need a statement from Montpellier on what we should be doing, they after all are the scheme provider.
                    Also we need an update from NTRT please....
                    Also keep tweeting - it is getting our case/lives noticed.
                    This article may be of interest....

Tax Disputes: Follower Notices and Accelerated Payments

Comment

Originally posted by KAK123 View Post
                      So, I can't believe it but we are actually at the end of the road. That road is still possibly 20 months long but it appears to have a dead end.
                      I think I said something similar in 2008. I believe that APN is almost irrelevant - the FTTT will come first. I can't see a decision on that within 18 months.

There seems to be information almost daily at the moment - needs a few months for things to settle down.

Comment

Working...
                      X