• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract got cancelled

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    You don’t necessary have to quit your permanent job before starting contracting. I didn’t.
    The main thing is that you have skills and experience that are attractive to agents and clients (and the stomach for contracting).
    It isn't necessary agreed but it severely reduces your chances of getting a contract in an already dull market. None of the gigs I have landed in the last 4 years could wait more than a week so he can't go for those.

You could have all your main items in your list but if the client won't wait the 4 weeks for your notice you skills and experience amount to squat.

I think this is was JamJar was angling at.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It isn't necessary agreed but it severely reduces your chances of getting a contract in an already dull market. None of the gigs I have landed in the last 4 years could wait more than a week so he can't go for those.

You could have all your main items in your list but if the client won't wait the 4 weeks for your notice you skills and experience amount to squat.

I think this is was JamJar was angling at.
      Fair comment. When I started out, the market was a lot better and 1st client was prepared to wait a few weeks (used unused leave to finish the permanent job a bit early).
      one day at a time

Comment

Public sector ie civil service, local councils, NHS etc, normally allow you to withdraw your resignation up to your last day.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Public sector ie civil service, local councils, NHS etc, normally allow you to withdraw your resignation up to your last day.
          Unless their post has been filled.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Unless their post has been filled.
            Unlikely. I got a 9-monther out of 'filling in while we recruit a permie'
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

If you never actually trade with your limited company, you can easily make it dormant.

It costs £15/yr and you only need to submit very simple accounts each year that you can probably complete yourself online.

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/pdf/gba10.pdf

Comment

Working...
              X