• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Customs payment for a limited company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customs payment for a limited company

Hello
    I have been working for a European bank in London for the last 6 months now. I operate through my limited company and invoice to an agency in UK and not the bank which is usual.
    I have just been informed by my accountants that I need to pay a huge amount to Customs (apart from the VAT amount).
    This customs amount is really huge (approx. 60% of the total amount invoiced till this year).
    Does it sound reasonable or usual (for an europen client) to you ?
    RWilson

Are they saying its VAT? Or some other tax? Certainly sounds odd!
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

If you working in London then the place of supply is London, so you charge and pay UK VAT. The fact the end client is European has nothing to do with it really.

It sounds a bit dubious TBH, I would query it with your accountant and find out exactly what tax or duty this is supposed to be.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I think you need to sit down with your accountant and ask him these questions.

Comment

Does/Did your accountant have a box at Leeds United?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Does/Did your accountant have a box at Leeds United?
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
            X