• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

50k deposit account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50k deposit account

I've got about 50k of personal cash to slap in a deposit account. don't mind giving about 30 days notice. Prospects seem to be either Birmingham Mid @ 4.95% or could go to Northern rock Guernsey @ 5.00

I guess I'll also start funnelling it into ISA's as well. Best choice here seems to e nat savings @ 5.05%.

Anybody know any better rates out there?

first direct do an internet only saving account that gives 5%

There are a number of limited deposit accounts that will give you up to 10% after 12 months.

Gold looks to be a good investment atm if you fancy summat a bit different. Depends on how flxible you want to and how much risk you want to take.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
      first direct do an internet only saving account that gives 5%

There are a number of limited deposit accounts that will give you up to 10% after 12 months.

Gold looks to be a good investment atm if you fancy summat a bit different. Depends on how flxible you want to and how much risk you want to take.
      As far as I could tell FD penalise you if if you make a withdrawl. But I'll check back. The high rate 10% type deals are limited to small amounts and conditional on salary being paid in (but I'm in the process of setting up one with Barclays who I happen to bank with).

TBH to me gold looks crap. gold always used to be a good hedge against inflation. That's all. Long term future looks uncertain since all monetary systems are now fiat. It's intrinsic worth has therefore disappeared and one is reliant upon baubles for consumption. Miners would be a better bet, but that time was about 2.5 years ago.

I'm not in any way risk averse, but I need to keep about 50k available for some work on my property over the coming year, hence a decent deposit account rather than nanything else

Comment

Bradford and Bingley are over 5% I think 5.05%. Anyway the Daily Mail sunday edition usually print the top 10 savings account, ISA's etc (look in the financial supplement).

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
          I've got about 50k of personal cash to slap in a deposit account. don't mind giving about 30 days notice. Prospects seem to be either Birmingham Mid @ 4.95% or could go to Northern rock Guernsey @ 5.00

I guess I'll also start funnelling it into ISA's as well. Best choice here seems to e nat savings @ 5.05%.

Best savings account: Chelsea BS @ 5.10% (includes introductory 12 month bonus of 0.60%) and requires 40 days notice.

Best cash ISA: Portman BS @ 5.30% (includes introductory 6 month bonus of 0.80%) and requires 15 days notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Davros
            Best savings account: Chelsea BS @ 5.10% (includes introductory 12 month bonus of 0.60%) and requires 40 days notice.

Best cash ISA: Portman BS @ 5.30% (includes introductory 6 month bonus of 0.80%) and requires 15 days notice.
            Cheers,

I'll check those out. But I seem to have a pln b. ING (who I currently have a stash with) are offering 6% on new deposits for existinmg holders. This is a fairly short term thing but I think I'll just park it there for a few months as the interim.

Comment

I'll invest it for you with a guaranteed 300% return...

...promise.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I have seen the ICICI bank as well, 5.15% . On the net, you will hear various comments about them, but they do have a good rate and they are FSA regulated

Comment

Originally posted by ASB

Always a good place to start
                  http://www.moneysupermarket.com/savings/
                  -------------
                  Cactus

Comment

Working...
                  X