• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paid Corp tax used wrong reference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happened to me...

I paid 4 amounts to HMRC on consecutive days with the same ref number.

I used last years ref number - which was an error on my part as it looked the same except for an 'A' at the end.

HMRC took 2 payments and rejected the other 2 and sent me a letter and 2 checks for the 2 rejected amounts and told me they had done this in the letter using the same reference number.

How they accepted payments 1 and 2 and not 3 and 4 with the same reference number AND told me thats what they had done, I will never know - the mind boggles.

Comment

We have found the HMRC send out overpayment cheques far too quickly if they receive a payment that they don't know what to do with. So you could easily get a cheque in the post in the coming weeks. I would suggest you save the potential hassle, and keep trying to get through to them. First thing in the morning is often the best time to contact the HMRC, after they are energised from the first cup of tea for the day.
      2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
        The payment will sit in the 'suspense' account until a) You spend all day on the phone to them sorting it out or b) They themselves sort it by matching the ref you used to the charge reference (the 17 or so digit reference) OR c) The system sorts it out itself (v.clever, don't like to show off and all that .... )

Whichever way it goes, the payment date is held against the payment (date of receipt) and that's the date you payment was made. It can take a day or two for the payment to get from the receipting system to the charge-holding system.

It's always good to see it when someone on here can explain how the systems work. Presumably you were involved.

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
        Happened to me...

I paid 4 amounts to HMRC on consecutive days with the same ref number.

I used last years ref number - which was an error on my part as it looked the same except for an 'A' at the end.

HMRC took 2 payments and rejected the other 2 and sent me a letter and 2 checks for the 2 rejected amounts and told me they had done this in the letter using the same reference number.

How they accepted payments 1 and 2 and not 3 and 4 with the same reference number AND told me thats what they had done, I will never know - the mind boggles.
        Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
        We have found the HMRC send out overpayment cheques far too quickly if they receive a payment that they don't know what to do with. So you could easily get a cheque in the post in the coming weeks. I would suggest you save the potential hassle, and keep trying to get through to them. First thing in the morning is often the best time to contact the HMRC, after they are energised from the first cup of tea for the day.
        Maybe it wasn't such a good job after-all.

Comment

Working...
        X