• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paid Corp tax used wrong reference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid Corp tax used wrong reference

I paid my CT via online faster payment bank transfer for the reference I used my CT reference number but apperently thats wrong I should of used the reference on the payment slip that had 17 characters a combo of numerics and the letter A in doh

I rang the CT payment people (taking all morning to get through) and after finally get through they told me it would just go into a suspence account and to call back in a couple of days time to sort it, a couple of days will push me past the payment deadline, assuming that happens does anyone know if,

1. They will use the date the payment went into the suspense account as the date recieved or will I have to wait for it to be allocated to my CT account ?

2. What are the penalties for late CT payment ?

Would call them again but I fear I will waste all afternoon trying to get through again

They will use the original pay date as the receipt date, even HMRC aren't harsh enough to say you only paid when they took it out of suspense
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      They will use the original pay date as the receipt date, even HMRC aren't harsh enough to say you only paid when they took it out of suspense
      Thanks you never know with them

In terms of getting allocated to my account do you know if this is something I will have to chase them to do or will they figure out that ref number I used was my CT reference ? The person I spoke to there took my details but that's no guarantee thet will sort it.
      Last edited by Bumfluff; 25 January 2012, 14:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
        Thanks you never know with them

In terms of getting allocated to my account do you know if this something I will have to chase them to or will they figure out that ref number I used was my CT reference ?
        Often they figure it out themselves, but not always. We've had clients who've been refunded the tax they paid as it's been misallocated, and they've then had to return it to HMRC again. In those cases as well, provided you return the cheque, HMRC will credit it against your account as if it had been paid & allocated correctly at the original date.

I don't blame you for being pessimistic, it often pays to expect the worst with HMRC!
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          Often they figure it out themselves, but not always. We've had clients who've been refunded the tax they paid as it's been misallocated, and they've then had to return it to HMRC again. In those cases as well, provided you return the cheque, HMRC will credit it against your account as if it had been paid & allocated correctly at the original date.

I don't blame you for being pessimistic, it often pays to expect the worst with HMRC!
          Thanks

Comment

I made a mistake in November there, paid 09/10 CT against the 08/09 CT ref number.

They sent me a cheque back rejecting the payment.

I phoned up and said yep, my fault, please allocate to the correct year.

They wouldn't deal with it on the phone, I had to post the refund cheque back with a letter. Either that, or cash the cheque and do a bank transfer again.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              I made a mistake in November there, paid 09/10 CT against the 08/09 CT ref number.

They sent me a cheque back rejecting the payment.

I phoned up and said yep, my fault, please allocate to the correct year.

They wouldn't deal with it on the phone, I had to post the refund cheque back with a letter. Either that, or cash the cheque and do a bank transfer again.
              Same here, i got a cheque back and was planning another holiday on the refund when i twigged, there was no note from them with the repayment, i just paid it back into the company account and then paid the CT again

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                Same here, i got a cheque back and was planning another holiday on the refund when i twigged, there was no note from them with the repayment, i just paid it back into the company account and then paid the CT again
                Mind did have a letter which very clearly stated I had essentially overpaid that corp tax year.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  Mind did have a letter which very clearly stated I had essentially overpaid that corp tax year.
                  I made a real mess of mine, paid by cheque but been a numb nuts I forgot to transfer the £ from my business reserve to the business cheque account and the cheque bounced though still seems to show as paid at HMRC systems. I then paid online using the CT reference number provided by my accountant but it should of been the CT payment reference and HMRC told me £ would go into suspense account. A real mess overall and I will probably end up spending a day of my life trying to get through to HMRC on the phone and seeing whats happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                    I made a real mess of mine, paid by cheque but been a numb nuts I forgot to transfer the £ from my business reserve to the business cheque account and the cheque bounced though still seems to show as paid at HMRC systems. I then paid online using the CT reference number provided by my accountant but it should of been the CT payment reference and HMRC told me £ would go into suspense account. A real mess overall and I will probably end up spending a day of my life trying to get through to HMRC on the phone and seeing whats happening.
                    The payment will sit in the 'suspense' account until a) You spend all day on the phone to them sorting it out or b) They themselves sort it by matching the ref you used to the charge reference (the 17 or so digit reference) OR c) The system sorts it out itself (v.clever, don't like to show off and all that .... )

Whichever way it goes, the payment date is held against the payment (date of receipt) and that's the date you payment was made. It can take a day or two for the payment to get from the receipting system to the charge-holding system.

Comment

Working...
                    X