• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking on a Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    The only problem that I could see would be whether you risk going over the threshold for FRS, if you are in that.
    This is a valid point, although a potentially larger issue is the risk you may be exposed to by the numerous employment laws, maternity, paternity, sickness, equality issues etc, in my experience these are areas often missed but could end up costing your business a tidy packet!

Comment

I already subcontract out work to two other companies (contractors) very simply process as the contract I have with the end client just caters for a piece of work to be done my a number of people with rates for different roles etc put in.

You will need to come out of FRS if you were in it as the sub contractors will be charging you VAT. Just make sure you make enough profit from them to easily cover anything extra its costs you.

Then when I invoice the end client its just one nice big invoice (shame its not all mine!!) and get separate bills from the subbies. No emplyment law etc to worry about.

I can imagine itd be easier to use the uk office to bill..

Oh and use people you know and trust. I'm lucky to know quite a few in my field so its simpler for me but I'd be wary of subbing to people I dont know, especially in the early days.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Looking here, if you are in the UK and are VAT registered, then you must charge VAT.
        I've been working with clients outside the EU (specifically US & Hong Kong) for 4 years and never charged VAT (I'm not on FRS FWIW); my accountants have supported this.

In fact, even within the EU the advice I got was that working in the UK doing work for an EU country, I didn't have to charge VAT then either (there was a thread about this a while back I could try to find).
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It depends on place of supply. If you supply services to a business, then the place of supply is where they are based. If you supply to a person, the place of supply is where you are based. So then HMRC state:

If you are in the UK and the place of supply of your service is in the UK, you charge and account for VAT according to UK VAT rules.

If you are in the UK and the place of supply of your service is in another EU country, the supply is outside the scope of UK VAT.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            If you supply services to a business, then the place of supply is where they are based. If you supply to a person, the place of supply is where you are based.
            Thanks for that nugget of info. Useful to know for freelancers in particular.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

This person is a trusted person - my brother actually.

He does not have a limited company, planning just to declare in the income on his SA at the end of the year. The money involved will be small to start with as I will do most of the work while training him up - he will make around £4000 the first year and hence will not be VAT registered or anything.

I guess I need to use the PGC standard contract and make it clear it is not a permanent position etc?

Comment

Working...
              X