• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing company, how to declare retained profits when filing personal taxes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing company, how to declare retained profits when filing personal taxes

Guys,

last year (2010) I closed down my limited company and cashed in the retained profits.

Now I have to file my taxes and I was wondering if the retained profits should be considered dividends or whether there is anything else I need to do about it.

The money transfer hit my account in the 2010 tax year.

Cheers,

//lys

How were they declared in the final closure accounts? Were they split between Dividends and Capital Distribution, or just Dividends?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

You have not provided a great deal of information but here goes...

By '2010 tax year' - do you mean the tax year ending 05/04/10? If so, then this tax return was due with HMRC by 31/01/11 so it is probably late.

Any dividends should be recorded on the tax return in the year that they relate to, remember that the tax year starts on the 6th April and ends on the following 5th April of each year.

How did you close the company? If you closed it using the ESC C16 route then the proceeds on closure would be shown on the Capital Gains Tax section of the tax return.

If you did not close it by this method, then the distribution would probably be classed as a dividend and so recorded as such.

What did your accountant suggest?

Alan

Comment

Sorry for the rant but why do people shut down companies and start throwing bucket loads of money without actually knowing what they are doing??? It's just beyond me.

Anyway, sorry, rant over...

Technically they can't be dividends as you don't have a dividend voucher therefore would be illegal and counted as PAYE.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X