• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drawing dividends over higher tax threshold - should I?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're not going to end up with low years, you're going to have to take it out eventually.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Don't forget that if you take a big divi this year resulting in a big tax liability you will have to pay that liability + 50% in January next year for your "Payment on account".
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Don't forget that if you take a big divi this year resulting in a big tax liability you will have to pay that liability + 50% in January next year for your "Payment on account".
        True, but you can appeal the POA down to nil if it is appropriate for the revised circumstances (i.e. the higher rate tax is not anticipated). Of course if the situation subsequently changes and the POA should actually have been made interest is chargeable on the non payment.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          If you're not going to end up with low years, you're going to have to take it out eventually.
          Or retire early
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

I keep a lump sum in the business account as a war chest but take everything else out. It's painful taking a 40% hit but I am young and figure I have another 15 years of this. So I can leave it in the account earning nothing for 15 years then drip feed it out when I am probably earning less, or take it out and earn say 5% a year, so over 15 years that will earn me more than the tax I will pay now.
            Last edited by JoJoGabor; 17 January 2012, 08:41.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
              I keep a lump sum in the business account as a war chest but take everything else out. It's painful taking a 40% hit but I am young and figure I have another 15 years of this. So I can leave it in the account earning nothing for 15 years then drip feed it out when I am probably earning less, or take it out and earn say 5% a year, so over 15 years that will earn me more than the tax I will pay now.
              I think thats the biggest point that some people miss. If you take it out now and put it in an ISA making 7% a year, then in 15 years you've more than covered the initial 25% tax hit. It all depends on what you do with it and how far you are from retiring, if you're close to retiring then putting it a SIPP / leaving it in the company probably makes more sense. There's no hard fast rule for this, it depends on your circumstances. However having a warchest in the company is a good idea if you wish to remain a contractor in the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Bug View Post
                Thanks, all - I appreciate your responses.

I'm lucky enough to have just secured a role for the next 12 months, again at a reasonable daily rate, so, if I left the net profit in the company, I'm likely to end up with a decent war chest by the end of FY 12/13. As I see it, this war chest only becomes useful if I become ill, cannot get employment after FY12/13 or cannot work for any other reason. It seems there are three options: pension; war chest; or dividend - and, with a mortgage to pay off, I'm really tempted to take a lump sum, take the tax hit and pay off the mortgage this year.

I'll dwell further, and change my mind a hundred times no doubt! Thank you - further advice well received here!
                Yeh. Pretty much.

Do you currently split dividends with wife/partner? For some people, this is worth doing (depending on wifes current income) because it means you can arrange it to pay dividends up to the tax bracket for both of you.

For instance, example :-

50/50 share split.

You salary = £7000
                Mrs salary = £10000 (from her own job for example)

OK. So upper limit is approx £44K.

In this example, apart from paying yourself £7K you could draw another £68K out of the company in dividends (£34K) with neither of you exceeding the tax bracket.

Of course, assumes you trust your mrs and she aint gonna knob the milkman and disappear with your £34K.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                  Or retire early
                  But your company would be still paying you after you 'retire' meaning you're still employed?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You could take the divs without a salary - but you may as well stay employed and tax the 7K tax free.

Unless that affects other tax calulations due to pensions etc. Unfortunately I've neither the reserves nor the chance to pack this in to have given it much thought...

so this is a bit of a non-post then...
                    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
                      so this is a bit of a non-post then...
                      Thanks for that
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X