• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£100 capital -- reduce it to £1 ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    The £100 is the very first bit of money i put into the company. It was to buy 100 shares at £1 each.

If possible (and easy enough) i'd like to just have 1 share still equalling 100%. Does that make sense? It kinda does to me

Why is the £99 so important? It's better in my pocket rather than sat in my business account until the day i die.
    Well, yes. So you want to reduce the paid up capital to £1 and return the other £99. It can be done. Though trying to maintain the retained funds at £1 could be tricky. It seems likely you will (or at least should) always have distributable reserves for solvency purpose, so you could achieve much the same affect by monitoring the capital accounts and paying extra dividend to just maintain the £100 or so. This would at least give you a small cushion between no distributable reserves and technical insolvency.

The current procedure is outlined here:

An optional new route for private companies to reduce share capital | Business Link

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

kingcook, just take the £100 back from the company and account for it as a director's loan if it bothers you. And next time, ask an accountant for advice before you setup the company.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I've gotta ask...

Why?

I could understand if you setup with £10k and didn't realise you could do it with £1.

But £100 or £1 = not worth the effort.

Ive got £100 as I've got 100 shares. I increased this from £1x1 when I wanted to gift some shares to wifey.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
          I've gotta ask...

Why?
          It's all part of the learning experience.

Besides, there's f-all on TV and i've already visited the Playboy website tonight.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
          X