• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "£100 capital -- reduce it to £1 ?"

Collapse

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by prozak View Post
    I've gotta ask...

Why?
    It's all part of the learning experience.

Besides, there's f-all on TV and i've already visited the Playboy website tonight.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    I've gotta ask...

Why?

I could understand if you setup with £10k and didn't realise you could do it with £1.

But £100 or £1 = not worth the effort.

Ive got £100 as I've got 100 shares. I increased this from £1x1 when I wanted to gift some shares to wifey.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post

kingcook, just take the £100 back from the company and account for it as a director's loan if it bothers you. And next time, ask an accountant for advice before you setup the company.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    The £100 is the very first bit of money i put into the company. It was to buy 100 shares at £1 each.

If possible (and easy enough) i'd like to just have 1 share still equalling 100%. Does that make sense? It kinda does to me

Why is the £99 so important? It's better in my pocket rather than sat in my business account until the day i die.
    Well, yes. So you want to reduce the paid up capital to £1 and return the other £99. It can be done. Though trying to maintain the retained funds at £1 could be tricky. It seems likely you will (or at least should) always have distributable reserves for solvency purpose, so you could achieve much the same affect by monitoring the capital accounts and paying extra dividend to just maintain the £100 or so. This would at least give you a small cushion between no distributable reserves and technical insolvency.

The current procedure is outlined here:

An optional new route for private companies to reduce share capital | Business Link

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Why is the £99 so important? It's better in my pocket rather than sat in my business account until the day i die.
    You would get the money when the company is closed - for £99 I think I would just wait until that day.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Quite! I could buy 100 things at my 99p shop with that!

Given the small sum I very much doubt if anyone would object or even notice if you just took the money out and changed the share issue on your next annual return. NAA of course.

PS You should start getting used to wasting time sending a lot of crap to Companies House and HMRC. Employing civil servants and accountants to do totally pointless tasks is what a UK business is for.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 5 January 2012, 22:30.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    If that is indeed what happened then yes, it is simply a loan.

However I think it is more likely the the OP bought 100 shares in his company @ £1. Any repayment of this will involve as Xog implies a capital restructuring and the repayment will be a capital distribution. And a world of form filling.

Though in either event why 99 quid is so important is a bit unclear.
    The £100 is the very first bit of money i put into the company. It was to buy 100 shares at £1 each.

If possible (and easy enough) i'd like to just have 1 share still equalling 100%. Does that make sense? It kinda does to me

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    According to your original post, you paid £100 of your own money into the company to give it some capital ie you loaned your company 100 quid. You are now wanting upto 99 quid back.

Write yourself a cheque for 99 quid, record it in your accounts (you do know what they are do you?) as repayment of your capital loan.

Course you could have asked an accountant the same question but then we both know he \ she would have charged you about 99 quid for the advice I gave freely
    If that is indeed what happened then yes, it is simply a loan.

However I think it is more likely the the OP bought 100 shares in his company @ £1. Any repayment of this will involve as Xog implies a capital restructuring and the repayment will be a capital distribution. And a world of form filling.

Though in either event why 99 quid is so important is a bit unclear.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Gee thanks

I mean, how would i record this £99 coming out of my company bank account? It's not salary, it's not an expense, it's not a dividend, it's not a director loan. So what is it?

Any would i have to arse about with any shares paperwork?
    According to your original post, you paid £100 of your own money into the company to give it some capital ie you loaned your company 100 quid. You are now wanting upto 99 quid back.

Write yourself a cheque for 99 quid, record it in your accounts (you do know what they are do you?) as repayment of your capital loan.

Course you could have asked an accountant the same question but then we both know he \ she would have charged you about 99 quid for the advice I gave freely

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Do you mean you paid for issued shares? Not sure whether £1 or £100 makes any difference but you can reduce share capital by delivering a lot of guffy declarations to Cos Hse as it says in item 6 here.

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/pdf/gba6.pdf
    Thanks, i'll have a read through this

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Erm, write a cheque to yourself for £99, perhaps?
    Gee thanks

I mean, how would i record this £99 coming out of my company bank account? It's not salary, it's not an expense, it's not a dividend, it's not a director loan. So what is it?

Any would i have to arse about with any shares paperwork?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Do you mean you paid for issued shares? Not sure why it matters if it's £1 or £100 but you can reduce share capital by delivering a lot of guffy declarations to Cos Hse as it says in item 6 here.

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/pdf/gba6.pdf
    Last edited by xoggoth; 5 January 2012, 19:04.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Hi,

I put £100 capital into my limited compnay bank account as capital, when i first started it up 18 months ago.

How easy is it to reduce this to say £1?

I am 100% shareholder.
    Erm, write a cheque to yourself for £99, perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    started a topic £100 capital -- reduce it to £1 ?

£100 capital -- reduce it to £1 ?

Hi,

I put £100 capital into my limited compnay bank account as capital, when i first started it up 18 months ago.

How easy is it to reduce this to say £1?

I am 100% shareholder.

Working...
X