• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant stated my PC Purchase cannot have VAT reimbursed on Flat Rate VAT scheme..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prozak View Post
    c'mon.
    no one "needs" a solid state drive I don't care what you are doing.
    Who defines what I need? I'm pretty sure that any decent IT contractor could justify it and understand the benefits of having SSD if necessary to HMRC.

(And you really want an Exalytics machine if you want real performance for analytics )

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    This is about claiming back for items over 2K when on FRVS. Which should be allowed.

If the accountant thinks its's a dodgy purchase (ie TVs) then it wouldn't be allowable as a (wholly)business expense anyway.
    WHS. Assuming that it's a genuine purchase, then it should be allowed - the question is why does the accountant not think that it's allowed?

Either (a) the accountant doesn't think it's a capital expense; (b) the accountant doesn't know the rules; or (c) the accountant doesn't think it's allowable anyway.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

(And you really want an Exalytics machine if you want real performance for analytics )
      uh huh... sure you do.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

WHS. Assuming that it's a genuine purchase, then it should be allowed - the question is why does the accountant not think that it's allowed?

Either (a) the accountant doesn't think it's a capital expense; (b) the accountant doesn't know the rules; or (c) the accountant doesn't think it's allowable anyway.
        Maybe the accountant knows that this is excessive for requirements just as the OP has already admitted?

Yes I admit I've gone silly but I love my fast PCs (for work).
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Maybe the accountant knows that this is excessive for requirements just as the OP has already admitted?
          But where does excessive stop it being claimable? (serious question).

Surely if the business bought it the text is "wholly and exclusively". It is only if it is being expensed and reclaimed that "wholly necessarily and exclusively" applies.

Surely there is a reasonable argument (would it sway HMIT?) that even though it is arguable "over the top" provided it is only used for business (or such personal use as occurs meets the defined rules by HMRC) then it passes wholly and exclusively.

cf. visiting "posh client co" which has very expensive office furniture rather than a two bob ikea table. Does this fail because it is not "necessary".

Comment

A bit like my full carbon company provided cycle to work bicycle.....
            I'm sure I could have spent less than £2K and still get to work in one piece.
            Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
              c'mon.
              no one "needs" a solid state drive I don't care what you are doing.
              Nobody needs a better CPU than a P4 or more than 1GB RAM on that logic. As a skilled developer, I want a decent set of tools. Just like how a builder will invest in decent tools costing much more than a casual DIYer
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

Surely if the business bought it the text is "wholly and exclusively". It is only if it is being expensed and reclaimed that "wholly necessarily and exclusively" applies.

Surely there is a reasonable argument (would it sway HMIT?) that even though it is arguable "over the top" provided it is only used for business (or such personal use as occurs meets the defined rules by HMRC) then it passes wholly and exclusively.

cf. visiting "posh client co" which has very expensive office furniture rather than a two bob ikea table. Does this fail because it is not "necessary".
                Exactly - some employers boast about Aeron chairs, top-spec PCs with dual 30" monitors, etc.

Hell even a MacBook Pro is approaching £2k, I doubt HMRC would tell you that using Apple was inappropriate
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

This is the bottom line really and also how much effort will the HMRC put in to quantifying it. I expect the reality of the situation is they won't question it and if they do a simple bit of technical befuddling will do the job.

The only real sanity checks are the person claiming depending on his risk aversion and the accountant to make make sure the OP knows what he is doing. Past that I can't see how HMRC will care tbh.

Doesn't answer question why the accountant wouldn't accept it but the OP doesn't seem to have spoken to him to ask him why not yet.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Doesn't answer question why the accountant wouldn't accept it but the OP doesn't seem to have spoken to him to ask him why not yet.
                    Next thing you know, you'll be implying that the OP is a troll
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

How many of you (including the OP) take work out of your customers environment to work on it at home where you require the high spec puter?

If you don't, this is a pretty easy thing for HMRC to knock back I reckon.

You may very well claim that you require alien technnology to do your super dooper programming - but if HMRC can easily prove you don't do it then do you have a leg to stand on?

Comment

Working...
                      X