• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doubling Up On Accomadation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doubling Up On Accomadation

Just found out that I need to stay over nearer to ClientCo one day next week, as its a one off am I OK to put one night in the hotel through the company even though I have a house share which is paid for the full month?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Yes. HTH
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Just found out that I need to stay over nearer to ClientCo one day next week, as its a one off am I OK to put one night in the hotel through the company even though I have a house share which is paid for the full month?
      If it's because you are working late or have to be in early then it's fine, go right ahead. If it's because you are getting pissed at the work Christmas party then it isn't.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        If it's because you are working late or have to be in early then it's fine, go right ahead. If it's because you are getting pissed at the work Christmas party then it isn't.
        What if he stays sober?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          But who can remember two years down the line if it is a one off.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            What if he stays sober?
            And what if he gets so pissed that he can't remember what he did that night?
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              But who can remember two years down the line if it is a one off.

No-one really GAS, only the paperwork matters, and a note to explain why the accommodation was needed if it's not immediately obvious when perusing the records.

Fact is you can claim whatever you like on expenses as long as you can argue it was necessary for your work. Some things may get pulled up by your accountant, in which case they'll simply transfer it to another part of the accounts with minimal fuss.

HMRC will only even bother checking if they do an investigation, as the normal accounts they receive don't go into enough detail for them to identify when a wrong expense has been claimed. If they investigate and find something wrong they'll make you pay it back. Hardly going to be bankrupting if it's just the odd night in a hotel that was wrongly expensed.

In over 12 years of contracting I've only ever had one expenses investigation and they found nothing wrong, despite me claiming for everything under the sun (rent, deposit, gas, leccy, water, council tax, TV licence ) for an apartment I was only using while working away from home. The bold bit is all they really bothered about to make sure I was really not living there full time.

So relax, if in doubt claim it and get your accountant to sort it out at the year end.
              Last edited by PAH; 26 November 2011, 10:56.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
              X