• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Duel Purpose Ltd Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duel Purpose Ltd Company

I have been contracting my previous IT contracts under umbrella schemes until recently.

I have registerd and marketed a Ltd company, which i intend to supply services outside of IT. However, i also intend to use the Ltd company to continue with any IT contracts, i pick up in the interim period and when i can get it.

How does this affect my IR35 status. Is IR35 only an IT issue?

Will the fact that i use my Ltd company for duel purpose, affect my status with regard to IR35?

el duder.
    Last edited by el duder; 29 April 2006, 21:57.

I'm not sure dueling is allowed, but...

I suppose it looks better from an IR35 point of view if your company is also doing other business, thought I'm sure somebody will tell you it's not a deciding factor. You might be better off operating two seperate companies.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You can use your Ltd Co for any legitimate type of business as long as its covered in the Mem and Arts. I use a Ltd Co for IT Contracting, PI, and the occasional building job.

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
        You can use your Ltd Co for any legitimate type of business as long as its covered in the Mem and Arts. I use a Ltd Co for IT Contracting, PI, and the occasional building job.
        Absolutely I notice Tesco get away with the odd bit of duel trading as well

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
          Absolutely I notice Tesco get away with the odd bit of duel trading as well
          Yes but they are not as big as me

Comment

dual

(duel = thing done with swords)
            Plan A is located just about here.
            If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

you can dual trade, but this has nothing to do with your IR35 status -- that depends on the nature of your relationship with your clients, not on anything else that you happen to use your limited company for.

E.g. you could be an employee of one company, whilst also running another one. The taxman will treat (and tax) you as an employee of the first company, regardless.
              Plan A is located just about here.
              If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

The only thing to watch out for is if you are on the Flat Rate VAT scheme as you will have declared the type of business you operate to qualify for it. If you start up a different line of business woth the same company you will need to declare that as well and if it qualifies for a different VAT rate you will need to track the VAT seperately.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                X