• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legal protection insurance - please recommend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freedom View Post
    Yes, see 2. Failure of the Agency to honour contractual arrangements.
    This policy allows a claim to be made on behalf of a PCGPlus member for a maximum £1,000
    OK, but tha is inthe limited case of a contract being pulled before commencement. Agency Failure cover is up to £7500.

But you ned to read a little further. You have to demonstrate actual financial loss as a result of the contract being withdrawn. That does not include losing the earnings you might have made had you started.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Spoke to PCG again. They are extremely secretive still. Consistently tried to make me buy their membership BEFORE answering whether they would represent you in court if there was a problem with agency not honouring the contractual agreement. After all however, they admitted that they wil NOT represent you in court for matters other than tax and IR35 etc.
      Furthermore, there isnt a proper policy wording that they could provide.

I have finally gone for QDOS. They seem to be much more affordable and state their policy in clear and plain English. They also have a legal helpline, and they WILL represent you in court for upto 50,000 for a number of matters including the problems with agencies. They said that it is very rare to come to the stage of a court case.

Please refrain from insults and keep this thread clean.

Comment

I have finally gone for QDOS. They seem to be much more affordable and state their policy in clear and plain English. They also have a legal helpline, and they WILL represent you in court for upto 50,000 for a number of matters including the problems with agencies. They said that it is very rare to come to the stage of a court case.
        Curiously, that's not what their website (which you linked to earlier says). For contractual disputes, they will pay £5000 not £50000.

Comparing PCG to Qdos is comparing apples and oranges, to be honest - there are many things that the PCG does which Qdos don't offer, and vice versa.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

And I assume you read the small print which says that if you are VAT registered, they won't cover the VAT element of your legal costs.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

My god. PCG must be devastated not to have you as a member.

(clue - sarcasm)
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Spoke to PCG again. They are extremely secretive still.
              No they're not. They just don't want you recording conversations or tying up their staff unnecessarily on pointless conference calls

Consistently tried to make me buy their membership BEFORE answering whether they would represent you in court
              No they didn't, they probably said they only represent members. They have never demanded you join before they talk to you.

if there was a problem with agency not honouring the contractual agreement. After all however, they admitted that they wil NOT represent you in court for matters other than tax and IR35 etc.
              IR35 is a tax.

Furthermore, there isnt a proper policy wording that they could provide.
              Possibly because they don't sell insurance? Just a thought...

I trust they're really pleased. You just insured for something that's not going to happen. Well done. (And PCG also operate a legal helpline, just as an aside.)

Please refrain from insults and keep this thread clean.
              Well you're unjustifiably slagging off an organisation I helped build and expecting it to do things it's not meant to do. I think we're being remarkably polite in the circumstances
              Last edited by malvolio; 17 November 2011, 08:44.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Incidentally, it's not strictly true that PCG won't represent their members for things other than tax matters. If a case comes along that would benefit the wider freelance community, they would certainly consider supporting it. Strictly speaking the Arctic Systems S660a case was out of scope when it first came up.

Their primary role is to support and represent the freelance community. They're attacking things like ICT and pre-Clearance abuse all the time, they aren't only interested in taxation matters
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Is this the same guy who is trying to sue for something that did or didn't happen a year ago? Surely no insurance will cover you for events that happened BEFORE you took out the insurance policy?

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                    Is this the same guy who is trying to sue for something that did or didn't happen a year ago? Surely no insurance will cover you for events that happened BEFORE you took out the insurance policy?
                    I can't remember what Freedom's case was or when it was from, but you are right - the insurance policy won't cover you for anything that is ongoing, or that you might reasonably know to be looming, or in the first 90 days of the insurance cover.

It also won't cover you for anything where you don't follow their legal advice helpline - so if they recommend that you drop it and you continue, then they won't pay that either.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X